Rowland 625 versus Audio Research DS450

I'm a big fan of Rowland Products. I heard the 625 at CES and was rather impressed by its huge solid soundstage, and the detailed yet mellifluous sound. I was rather depressed by the price tag. I was hoping it would be in Rowland 501 range.

I also heard the Audio Research DS450 with Magnepans at CES. While the sound was very relaxed and tube like, I didn't hear as much bass, as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the speakers or the recordings played?

I noticed both manufacturers avoided the term Class D or "Ice Module" like the plague. I think Class D has become a dirty word among some audiophiles...

Any other thoughts on how the sound of the Rowland 625 compares to Audio Research's DS450?

I would like to save up for one of them. The DS450 or even DS225 seem like they might be "better bang for the buck" (in relative terms). Appreciate your comments. Tks!
optimus
Guido,
Appreciate your comments, as always. I have the Rowland 201 monoblocks. I like them, but my main complaint is they seem a little bit "sterile". The music seems to have less guts.

Just curious, do 1000M's seem to have "soul" like the Rowland 625's, which keeping the musical detail...? As far as you're aware, are there big sonic differences between the Bel Canto "M" and "non-M" versions? Tks!
Optimus, your findings of Rowland M201 are consistent with my own observations. M201 tend to run out of steam reasonably easily. They do also sound very clean, but in themselves, M201, which are based on the ICEpower 500 ASP modules, are not the most musically involving amplifier I have heard. On the other hand, Rowland M201 cannot really be compared to the Bel Canto REF1000M monoblocks (previously called REF1000 Mk.2). REF1000M use the much more powerful ICEpower 1000 ASP modules, also used in Rowland M501..... and I have NEVER heard any of them run out of steam, nor falling off in dynamics or authority.

Bel Canto REF1000M is a slightly warmer-sounding and more nuanced amplifier than Rowland M501, while Rowland M501 may edge out REF1000M in transparency and quiet background.

There are 2 versions of the Bel canto Ref1000 monos.....

The original REF1000 monos, which are the warmest, slightly less extended, and paradoxically have some minor jarring in the treble.

The REF1000 Mk.2, later renamed REF1000M, which are more extended than the original, not quite as warm, and and in my opinion yield a more musicaly satisfying and delicate treble.

G.
Thanks Guido. I'll see if I can give the 1000M's a listen. It will be tough being in a small city, but maybe I can make it to RMAF this year...

Although I think many manufacturer's were attracted to the ICE modules because of their low power usage and cost effectiveness, I believe many found it (using ICE) to be a marketing nightmare.

Several companies had difficulty explaining why or how their ICE based amps were different from others, much less explain the price difference. To make matters worse, some audio magazines expressed an almost universal, perhaps irrational dislike for the "Class D" sound. Digital amps became a dirty word in some circles.

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed several manufacturer's seemed to have moved away from stating they use ICE.

This is or was unfortunate, because perhaps ICE could have raised the bar for affordable high power, low cost amps.

On my part, I try to be technology agnostic. In the end, hopefully, the proof is in the pudding or listening.
Optimus, the "negative reviews" on IcEpower are old hat.... they were covering early devices, that in some cases may not have been broken in adequately.

I hope you make it to RMAF.... you will discover that some designers like Stronczer of Bel Canto obtain from their ICEpower-based amplifiers a refinement of sound that comfortably exceeds any reasonable expectations from the particular price point.

Guido
Hi All,

I had the chance to hear the Rowland 625 for a second time, this time at RMAF 2011. I have to say this time I was a little bit disappointed. (The first time at CES 2011, I was wowed. Cannot remember the original setup.)

The Rowland 625 was setup with Thiel 3.7's Speakers, Rowland Aeris Dac (used as both DAC and preamp), and Bryston BDP-1 (Digital Player).

While it didn't sound bad, there seemed to be a "whitish" type high frequency coloration to the sound. There was much less mid-bass, than I would have liked. The overall sound was little bit "hard".

I was thinking that there may have been a few possible causes, assuming I listened correctly.

a) The 3.7's were not broken in yet.
b) The 3.7's sound is much better in a larger room,
giving the bass and mid-bass a chance to bloom.

c) The preamp section of the Corus is better and much
more forgiving than the Aeris DAC.

Any thoughts from others who were at RMAF?

I usually love Rowland and Thiel stuff, so I'm wondering how these hotel setups or demonstrations may effect the sound.

I heard the Bel Canto 500M's with the Joseph Speakers. It sounded pretty darn smooth...