Rowland 112 vs McCormack .5 Rev A

I am considering upgrading from my McCormack .5 Rev to a Rowland 112. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with both of these amp. Associated equipment: Theta CasaNova, Magnepan MG 3.6R w/2 Vandersteen 2Wq, ClearAudio Champion.
maggieowner

Showing 1 response by stevemcx

I would like to add a few points: 1) The DNA-0.5 (Rev A or otherwise) delivers about 120 Watts-per-channel into an 8 ohm load. The Rowland 112 is rated at 150W per, so the difference in 8-ohm-power is very small. The real difference is current delivery into lower impedances, and the Rowland has the larger power supply. 2) I now offer an upgrade Plitron toroid transformer for the DNA-0.5 that is huge, in relative terms. This delivers a large increase in available current and a rather amazing performance improvement - especially in the bass region. I believe that this would take care of any performance issues you have with the Magnepans, and at a much lower cost than switching amplifiers. 3) Have you experimented with other preamps recently? This might be worth a try, as the Theta is primarily a surround processor - a very good one, but still designed mainly for surround duty. In my experience, a good 2-channel preamp will outperform a surround-decoder for listening to music.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss any of this.

Happy holidays,
Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
760-732-0352