Rolling KT150s in Primaluna hp integrated

I’m a mere five hours into these.  This is an alive and kicking tube.  It’s like it had a double espresso before the music starts.  I’m hearing big and strong delivery, but that’s so overwhelming that I cannot focus on midrange.  It’s clear I need some time with these. 
128x128jbhiller

Showing 3 responses by wolf_garcia

I prefer the sound of KT120s over 150s (I used 'em in both a push-pull and a single ended amp, the use of which was approved by the manufacturers of both amps) for reasons I can't explain as they're subtle, or I can't remember what they are. Something about the sound of the music when listening to it (take THAT pesky reviewers!). I like the "look" of 150s more…they're cool…however, another plus is that the 120s are relatively inexpensive these days.
Like I said…not sure why but in the amps I used them in (a factory upgraded Jolida 502P, and a Dennis Had "Inspire Fire Bottle" single ended thing) they were too similar to the 120s…since I sold the 150 quad with the Jolida amp I might still try a fresh pair of 150s at some point, but for the Had SEP amp I still have fresh Gold Lion KT88s, Sovtek KT88s (Which are sort of great sounding) and new KT120s…so I'm in no hurry I guess.
I'd love to be part of a "tube lending cabal" as I'm not sure the cryo process is a good idea for tubes but that's maybe just me…the good news is my "Fire Bottle HO" will accommodate a lot of different tubes and only needs 2 power tubes…anything from KT77s to paper towel cardboard, Fee Waybill, and Kelly Slater's wave machine.