Rolling KT150s in Primaluna hp integrated

I’m a mere five hours into these.  This is an alive and kicking tube.  It’s like it had a double espresso before the music starts.  I’m hearing big and strong delivery, but that’s so overwhelming that I cannot focus on midrange.  It’s clear I need some time with these. 
128x128jbhiller

Showing 13 responses by jbhiller

I’m on day three of running these tubes constant.

The KT150’s power is unquestionably present. There’s more of everything while the speakers are controlled by the amplifier. Bass is more robust than any other power tube I’ve used. Highs soar. Midrange is big, BUT the midrange is not as thick and creamy as EL34s/7581s.

If someone were asking me what KT150s sound like in a Primaluna amp, I’d say that it’s definitely something worth and necessary to hear for yourself. The difference in sound (bass, highs, and control) with the KT150 is so stark it’s like listening to a different amplifier than I’m used to. There’s so much to like with this different setup.

I’m curious to see how these break in and how much I’ll miss that darker, syrupy midrange of the EL34 and variants--which I love and am very used to.

Yes, georgehifi, Primaluna endorses the use of KT150s in this amp.  

Many folks run these in Primalunas without issue. 

Are you saying that you think it's a problem based on your personal review and expertise?  I'm having trouble understanding your point. 
Thanks George.  Primaluna endorses the use of KT150s.  With your background, you may be interested to see how they run their tubes and how sizable the power transformers are for the application.  
That’s interesting Wolf. I’m thinking the 150s sound a bit more solid state—in good ways and bad. They seem to be a marvelous tube in their own right. 

Now you have me wanting to hear the 120s too. 
tubegroover,

I appreciate exactly what you are saying.  I think the KT150s are super musical. They are as close to neutral in coloration that I've heard in power tubes.  

Wolf, you are lucky and or smart. The primaluna’s 8 power tubes make cost of rolling prohibitive.  

I have tried

KT150s
KT88s
EL34s
7581A

i really want to try 6550s, KT77s and KT120s someday. 
Wolf; if you’re bored and want to experiment on the cheap you should look at the 7581As.  Fantastic tube in my opinion. 
Larryi,  If only we were billionaires!  I'd finance that experiment now!

The Tung Sol 7581A is a very very good tube.  
I’m approaching 2 weeks into this tube roll and I have a better understanding of what the KT150s do.

The KT150s in the PL Dialogue Premium HP are a great match. It’s not easy to go back to other powertubes. I had to for a day as I dropped one when taking it out. In this amp (in my room, etc.) the KT150s just sound better. The power allows imaging and soundstage to be bigger and more controlled. The bass is without question more robust and controlled than I’ve ever heard with tubes or with 2 SS integrateds with my speakers. 

While I can’t say what others would like, I can certainly say that rolling KT150s in this amp create a big change. It’s really something owners should experience. I think the change could keep me out of the upgrade game for some time as it’s made such an improvement in sonics.

Using a combination of Mullards and Ciftes 12AU7s in the first four slots with the KT150s really dials things in to my liking.

What’s kind of surprising is the KT150s are not edgy, harsh, bright, etc. They just add more dynamics, control, authority, size and precision to imaging.

If anyone wants to buy a matched octet of Gold Lion KT88s, which I purchased from Upscale (not cyroed), PM me. They cannot have more than 300 hours on them as they are less than a year old and I ran them in rotation with 7581As, 2 types of EL34s, and now the KT150s. Such a great tube that I don’t think I’ll use with moving in the KT150s.
There is no issue with the load imposed by the 150s in this amp. The manufacturer endorses after it did significant testing before doing so.

The power transforners on this amp are massive. That’s why it weighs 60 plus lbs.

With respect to room heating, I live in Chicago so we see all sorts of temperatures from 10 below to 95 to 00 every year. Smaller EL 34 Tubes in their substitutes do not cause too much significant heating in the summer months. But it is definitely noticeable. I went the route of buying a class D amplifier last summer and moving the prima Luna to the basement.

Let me just say that after six months, I sold the class D amplifier and brought the prima Luna back up. I don’t know when I’m going to do this summer. The sound is to to die for so I’m just not sure. I might not care s out the heat. Or, I’ll buy a nice used integrated.

I didn’t have the opportunity to audition all different makes of class D amps. But the one that I did evaluate was not able to impress me long-term.

I agree with almost everything in this review of KT150s and the PL Dialogue Premium HP.  The characteristics of the KT150 in this amp are accurately described in my view.  http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/primaluna-dialogue-premium-t...