Rogers LS35A - Stradivarius? Or Sentimental Hype?

I remember these from my audiophile youth and thought that they sounded quite good, if a bit thin.

In any case, I always thought they would make a nice monitor for a smaller room or bedroom, but then I am always shocked at the resale prices, especially for very good ones.

As I write, there is a pair on ebay which is already bid up to GBP 1,000 which I am pretty sure is a lot more than they cost new?!

So my question - what is so special about this monitor in its original configuration?

Do the best mini monitors today give these a good run for their money -- especially in the area of midrange magic?

If they really are so wonderful, why doesnt someone knock them off in China for a fraction of the price?

Are these really a big deal, or are collectors just being irrational?
cwlondon
get the stirling ls3/5 from acousticsounds.com. an updated clone that sounds just as incredible. or there's harbeth, chartwell, spendor, kef and other used ls3/5's that tend to go for less(there is a sentimental value to the rogers brand that always keeps the price a bit higher(particularly the 15 ohm model......but they all sound incredible
I used LS3/5a speakers off and on from 1976 until 2002. It is, like a Quad ESL57, its own thing, not precisely duplicated by anything else. It is amp sensitive and definitely won't sound thin if driven properly. They need some oomph yet have limited power handling. The original 15 ohm design happens to make many solid state amps sound much better than they have any right to, and an unbloaty tube amp can be nearly heaven, within the limits of the speaker. Also, what you put them on can have a dramatic effect on their performance, especially in bass definition. The best sound by far I ever got out of the LS3/5a was when placing them on Osiris 24" stands, loaded with sand and shot. They're not made anymore but you can find them on Audiogon and eBay occasionally.

The LS3/5a is a speaker that benefits fully from amplification considerably more expensive than the speakers themselves. The VAC Avatar and Super Avatar do a spectacular job with them. But for much less, the Prima Luna integrateds do well. The EL34 gives you finesse and a softer sound, the KT88 version tightens and speeds up bass attack, and projects more energy.

No question there is a certain euphonic datedness to the sound. The crossover is complex, and clearly contributes to the speaker's relative inefficiency, 82.5db/w/m if I recall. The KEF B110 mid/bass driver has a bextrene cone, materially advanced for the early 1970s. Compared to well-made paper or modern composits, however, it's a little slow and warm sounding. The speaker's colorations are all euphonic and carefully chosen.

The current Quad Classic II and KT88 monoblocks are terrific with LS3/5a too. Also, if the spend doesn't frighten you, an 845 SET at 25w or so is perfect and can make magic. But there are many perfectly affordable push-pull tube amps and moderate SS units on the used market.

The Spendor S3/5 and S3/5se speakers are spiritual successors to the LS3/5a, designed in the late 1990s after KEF stopped production of the B110 and T27 drivers on which LS3/5a production depended. The newer Spendors have a decidedly more neutral, accurate sound with appreciably better bass and treble extension and better dynamics. Less amp sensitive too, and you get a small 1.5db bump in efficiency. I recommend them and they can cost less than a mint pair of used LS3/5a. By comparision the S3/5 and the se version are objectively better speakers than the LS3/5a, but in the very core midrange where many of one's perceptions of musical magic are formed, the LS3/5a has an indescribable edge that makes you wonder whether it's better to live with the flaws. Every former Quad ESL57 owner understands this perfectly. I've been down both roads for extended periods of time.

Phil
Most of the Rogers LS35A were pick-up by Asian audiophiles/collectors who have ears......
Lacee

You are confirming all my suspicions. If you bought a new pair for $400.00, then the ebay bid at GBP 1000 is nearly $1800.00 ?!?!?!?!

What speaker ever in the world has traded for > 4 x the new price?

I still dont quite get it.
The LS3/5A at $1000. for a used pair is a rip-off when you know how much they sold for when new.That is like charging $800.00 for a used NAD 3020 of the same vintage and it too is considered a classic by many. The Japanese perhaps have cornered the market to make them rare on the used market and then sell them back to us for a huge profit aka Mac tube gear.The Rogers only performed well in small rooms and reproduced a detailed but smaller than life sized replica of instruments and sounded best with tube gear.I would check out the new Spendors first.