Rock? money down the drain?

I have seen posts where people describe their systems and ask for upgrade advise and their systems cost $5000 and up and their primary music is rock. here is a question for everyone. is it worth spending $10,000 on a rock system or do think there is a cut off point where all rock systems sound the same?
mboldda1269a
A good system is a good system is a good system and the bottom line is that it will do well with any type of music. There is however, strengths and weaknesses to each system, no matter how good or expensive, that will let it work best with specific types of music. Sean >
It's not easy to get good playback from a 90+ track rock recording. I think it's a lot easier putting together a good classical rig than one for rock that I listen to. Classical is more forgiving with system coloration than rock is, at least to my ears. My old B&Ws do very well with classical but they sound muddy with rock, the $4500 Ruark speakers I once auditioned sounded great with classical. With densely layered, heavily distorted guitar, the drivers sounded like they were make out of sponge. Same with the Aerius i's I listened to. As I walked away from those, the saleman told me, "They really open up when the treble is turned up." Whatever. Dismayed, the salesmen in both instances got a puzzled look on thier face and checked the connections. (All amps were SS.) And the same thing happened with the cdm7se. All were too muddy. I bought a pair of hales for my $5k system. I also went to the room with the Trans eights with a Wadia player and huge levinson monoblocks. I dunno, 35k+ total? The sound of that system with my rock cds melted my brain like no 5k or 10k sytem i've ever heard. But I definately agree that it depends on the specific quality of the recording. It's just that there's a lot of good rock out there that is very well recorded/produced.
Excuuuuse me, I thought we were supposed to be listening to classical music. I didn't get the memo about rock music being "viable" on our systems. I agree with cwlondon above, that's a great post. I have found some great sounding rock CD's as follows (although you may not believe that that some qualify as "rock": Rush- Moving pictures Van Morrison - Moondance Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast. (no, its not satanic) Iron Maiden- Piece of Mind (same) Tool- Undertow Tool- Anima Metallica- Justice for All. Hole - Live Through This Hole- Celiberity skin. Soul Coughing- (any) Dire Straits- Love Over Gold. Candlebox- Candlebox (1st album only!) Godsmack That's just my personal opinion of good sounding rocking tunes. Enjoy!
Ask Jesus if rock music is down the drain? KISS (Keep it simple stupid. Leave it in the masters hand. No further explanation needed.
mc2000: pardon, but this ol' bloke needs further explanation. are you speakin' of jesus rock or kiss, or both? neither? how does what you say relate to the subject of the thread? sorry, but i just don't get your point.