Review: Thor Audio TA-1000 Tube preamp

Category: Preamps

Associated gear
VAC phi upgraded 90 monoblocs
Audiomeca Mephisto II.X cpd
Gamut L-3 MONITORS

Similar products
Like so many others, I've bought and sold, and re-bought and re-sold. I've upgraded and upgraded some more. One component that I've never had the itch to replace is my Thor Audio preamp 1000. I did however decide to invest in the upgrade that Ted, the new owner of Thor Audio, offers. The pre came back in a very timely manner and I anxiously awaited and expected to be wowed. Things unfolded in a not very linear fashion. I told Ted that although things sounded a little better, the anticipated improvement wasn't there. He was convinced that there was a problem elsewhere in the system. But there wasn't a problem. My system sounded good before I sent the pre to him. Things still sounded good, just not really better. I was frustrated and disappointed to say the least. Ted insisted that I send the Thor back to him so he could check things out again. He was stymied and again told me that there was a problem somewhere else that was preventing the upgrade from getting through so to speak. He suggested that I change the speaker cables to the 8 ohm taps. Not only did things not sound better...things sounded really bad, as in distorted. Ted knew that that wasn't a normal response. He never gave up on me or what he knew my system was capable of. I was ready to pull my hair out

Now and finally to the tubes. My amps' NOS KT'88's which were purchased some years back, had to be discarded and I was using the stock tubes that came with the amps. I bought a quad of the Chinese Shuguang SC's that have been universally praised and I awaited their arrival. In the mean time I sent all the other tubes to the world's best tube guy, one Jim Sautter. The other tubes passed Jim's testing and the Shuguangs finally arrived. I put in the new tubes, I fired things up...and Viola, my system and the music came to life. Now my jaw is on the floor.. The upgrade was there in spades. My system has always lacked bass but bass is not on my must have list. I crave the detail and the soundstage. Well I now have it all. I have all the bass anyone could want and that's with monitor speakers. The music is 3 dimentional in a way that it never has been. I love percussion and it often doesn't get through...things like sticks and triangle and bells. I'm revisiting cd's and of coarse I'm hearing all kinds of things, including percussion. I'm hearing the music in a more visceral and emotional way.

I can't praise Ted's service and ethic enough. I was treated like a respected sister whose happiness and satisfaction was his top priority. Ted and his partner Jordan are working very hard to resurrect a new and greatly improved Thor Audio. Based on my prolonged association with Ted, I can't imagine that they will be anything but successfull. For those of you out there who own Thor products, I highly recommend the upgrade.

Like so many others, I've bought and sold, and re-bought and re-sold. I've upgraded and upgraded some more. One component that I've never had the itch to replace is my Thor Audio preamp 1000. I did however decide to invest in the upgrade that Ted, the new owner of Thor Audio, offers. The pre came back in a very timely manner and I anxiously awaited and expected to be wowed. Things unfolded in a not very linear fashion. I told Ted that although things sounded a little better, the anticipated improvement wasn't there. He was convinced that there was a problem elsewhere in the system. But there wasn't a problem. My system sounded good before I sent the pre to him. Things still sounded good, just not really better. I was frustrated and disappointed to say the least. Ted insisted that I send the Thor back to him so he could check things out again. He was stymied and again told me that there was a problem somewhere else that was preventing the upgrade from getting throug!
h so to speak. He suggested that I place the speaker cables on the 8 ohm taps of my amps' monoblocs. Things should certainly sound better. Not only did things not sound better...things sounded really bad, as in distorted. Ted knew that that wasn't a normal response. Ted never gave up on me or what he knew my system was capable of. I was ready to pull my hair out

Now and finally to the tubes. My amps' NOS KT'88's which were purchased some years back, had to be discarded and I was using the stock tubes that came with the amps. I bought a quad of the Chinese Shuguang SC's that have been universally praised and I awaited their arrival. In the mean time I sent all the other tubes to the world's best tube guy, one Jim Sautter. The other tubes passed Jim's testing and the Shuguangs finally arrived. I put in the new tubes, I fired things up...and Viola, my system and the music came to life. Now my jaw is on the floor.. The upgrade was there in spades. My system has always lacked bass but bass is not on my must have list. I crave the detail and the soundstage. Well I now have it all. I have all the bass anyone could want and that's with monitor speakers. The music is 3 dimentional in a way that it never has been. I love percussion and it often doesn't get through...things like sticks and triangle and bells. I'm revisiting cd's and!
of coarse I'm hearing all kinds of things, including percussion. The music is touching me in a more visceral and emotional way.

I can't praise Ted's service and ethic enough. I was treated like a respected sister whose happiness and satisfaction was his top priority. Ted and his partner Jordan are working very hard to resurrect a new and greatly improved Thor Audio. Based on my prolonged association with Ted, I can't imagine that they will be anything but successfull. For those of you out there who own Thor products, I highly recommend the available upgrades.
128x128bander
Bander: Very nice story and a great ending..Ted and Jordan a great guys to work with..I just got my ( amps ) Thor TPA 30's back this week from a V/Cap upgrade ( unbelievable ) and I am fortunate enough to live within 1 hour drive to Thor Audio..I was treated there exaclty the same way..

Nice story... glad things worked out for you. Aren't you glad I mentioned you should consider getting a Thor preamp?