Review on Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC

Hey Gon members,

I just submitted to Stereo Times my review on the new ,and the first, DAC that Linear Tube Audio has just released. For right now I would strongly suggest anyone in the market for a stand alone DAC, regardless of price, consider the Aero. Its build quality, R2R chip set, power supply, internal part selection and the tube based ZOTL analog conversion section leads to one of the most musical and analog type presentations I have heard in the last ten years. Not inexpensive at $3,950, but competes with my reference which sells for $10,000 more. You get a 14 day home . trial. So far no one has returned the Aero after hearing in their system. I go into many details about the Aero in my review, but wanted to give a heads-up for anyone considering a DAC purchase. I believe the Aero is a break through product based on price vs. performance. I'll let you know when the review goes up. Hopefully in the next ten days.

Terajay (Terry London)

teajay

Hey mm1tt77,

Compared to your PS Audio DS MK2 the LTA Aero will have a richer tonality and the individual images will be more 3D "meat on the bones" presentation. I find the PS Audio Direct Stream to sound like very good digital, but not as relaxing or musical as the DACs I like the most. What do you like about the Direct Stream MK2 that lead you to replace the Pagoda?

Thanks for the kind words regarding my reviews. Teajay

Interesting, they copied the name of the legendary Audio Aero company in Toulouse, France. 

Thank you for the review Terry, and I do appreciate the early heads up on your reviews......that's how I found (and later purchased) the amazing CODA S5.5.

I do however have some concerns that might prevent me from buying this DAC: There is no AES/EBU connection, there is no I2S connection, It is black only (rest of my gear is silver), and then the 24bit/192.....though that may not be a killer for me.

Found this to be interesting.  Made me wonder if their choice of AD1865 vs. others like AD1862 was related to finding a chip they could stockpile in sufficient quantity.  Also interesting comments on power cords relative to power supply.  They clearly value listening as part of their design and parts selection process.

Hey Terry…would you care to share your thoughts on how the LTA compares to Bricasti, considering both use AD chips? Thanks!