Review on Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC

Hey Gon members,

I just submitted to Stereo Times my review on the new ,and the first, DAC that Linear Tube Audio has just released. For right now I would strongly suggest anyone in the market for a stand alone DAC, regardless of price, consider the Aero. Its build quality, R2R chip set, power supply, internal part selection and the tube based ZOTL analog conversion section leads to one of the most musical and analog type presentations I have heard in the last ten years. Not inexpensive at $3,950, but competes with my reference which sells for $10,000 more. You get a 14 day home . trial. So far no one has returned the Aero after hearing in their system. I go into many details about the Aero in my review, but wanted to give a heads-up for anyone considering a DAC purchase. I believe the Aero is a break through product based on price vs. performance. I'll let you know when the review goes up. Hopefully in the next ten days.

Terajay (Terry London)

teajay

Hey cleeds,

I would not refer to my excitement about this DAC as a "hard sell". I have been a Audiogon member for years and professional reviewer for fifteen years. I try to share information on products I review that I believe offer outstanding price vs. performance and the LTA Aero DAC is a killer piece. Most reviewers won't post here because of the flack they often receive. However, many members are complimentary regarding my posts and reviews because it has helped them select gear that fulfilled what they wanted in their system.

Teajay

@teajay I remember and took notice of your Lab12 Ref DAC review a while back.  I have enjoyed and have been very impressed with mine.  How would the LSA and the Lab 12 Ref compare in your mind?  Thanks

Hey tksteingraber,

Your Lab12 DAC is an excellent performer. It does not become null and void because something performs at a higher level. The LTA Aero, in my opinion, significantly/qualitative is on a higher level of performance across the board. In my review I mention two DACs that I own that cost 10K and 25K more. Yet, the Aero's level of performance rivals these two DACs. 

Teajay

Thanks Terry,

I’ll be interested in reading your review. I have an R2R DAC (the Pontus ll ) and I really like the ladder DAC sound.

Needs an HDMI I2S input. No excuses. ALL manufacturers should be adopting this onto their rear panels of the DAC's. f under $1k USD DAC's are doing it. Why aren't the megabuck Guys following suit ?