Review : Emerson ER-7001 Am/Fm radio. Return of the radio king!

Budget Esoterica Review Magazine

January 2024 Mini Review

Move over, Tivoli, Emerson is nipping at your heels. If you are a fan of the Tivoli audio radio you might want to take a look at the Emerson ER-7001 radio. Both radios have similar features and looks, but the price is way different. The Emerson radio is currently selling for under $40. Both radios are similar in size. The Emerson has a telescopic antenna. Provisions on the rear provide for headphones, aux input and a detachable power cord. This allows you to use it with headphones or a CD player. I am reviewing it mainly for use as an outboard Am/Fm tuner with a high quality integrated amp and mini speakers. 

Listening to a local Jazz station I could tell that the Emerson radio was well engineered. It was quiet in the background and sniffed out stations just as well as a highly regarded separate classic Yamaha tuner. At times I heard a little richness to the sound. The highs were just about as crisp as I would want. Switching to a rock music station , the bass was good and the sound was clear and robust when used with a $100 interconnect. 

Part Two - Cd player running through the aux input

So what about the internal Emerson speaker? Is it any good? I am happy to report that the internal speaker is also of very good quality. A little bit of bass, good quality highs and the strong point being the vocal clarity. I see from the specs that they rated this radio at 2 watts of output. It plays pretty loud. 

The Emerson Corporation is back with a vengeance! I remember the Emerson brand as a kid as I lusted after their low priced cool looking compact stereos. If they keep coming with products like this they will return to their former glory! Highly recommended. 

honda6