REVEL performa3 f208 or TEKTON Moab

I have about 5 grand to spend on loudspeakers.  Of these 2, Tekton Moab and Revel performa3 f208, which one would you goners buy? Or any recommendations? I have an old Krell FPB 400CX, Ayre K5xe mp, Wadia 321 Dac, VPI Classic turntable. 
jeffvegas

Showing 42 responses by jeffvegas

Yes glupson, I have a Krell FPB 400CX that has been serviced recently by Krell. It does 400 a channel into 8 ohms, 800 a channel into 4 ohms and 1600 a channel into 2 ohms. I could care less about sensitivity in a loudspeaker.  My neighbors complained about how loud my Tekton Enzo's are with the Krell. I told them I am sorry but I do take song requests. 
In one corner you have the Revels with big Harman R&D budget and the Tektons with good ole American ingenuity.  Tektons are made in the USA. Revels, Indonesia.  The Revels have amazing fit and finish, the Tektons look DIY. But its sound quality first for me. Going to be an interesting choice thats for sure. 
the steep slopes and poor crossover components kill the F208. The moab uses 6 db slopes which is phase coherent and features an upgrade for crossover components.  
I think my old Krell FPB 400CX will power the F208's with 400 wpc in to 8 ohms, 800 into 4, 1600 into 2. I have ordered f208's. they are coming this week. On the fence between Moab and Double impact se tekton to compare 
like it said enjoying the Krell amp, Ayre preamp, Wadia Dac, VPI table and wilson sophia with Rel S3 in my high rise on the strip. Enjoy your NAD audio2design. LMFAO!!!
It will be big Harman samsung owned Revel vs the little company in Utah Tekton.  Who will win? Stay tuned. 
I have Wilson and Magico in a collaborative effort doing the enclosures for the Moab. 
I want coherency will the Moab. Not interested in adding a beryllium tweeter to them as that in my opinion would break up their amazing coherence just like an electrostatic design has. Also the  Beryllium tweeters I have heard from FOCAL did not impress me. I've owned Vandersteen 4a and Dunlavy scIVa with cloth dome tweeters and I prefer their tonal balance.  I am ordering a pair with just the upgrade package which gives you better crossover parts and better binding posts. 
I listen to anything from Miles Davis to Metallica.  I Stream, play compact disc's and spin Vinyl so all formats are used. The system consists of a Krell FPB 400CX, Ayre K5xe mp preamp, Wadia 321 Dac, Audiolab 6000cdt transport, Bluesound node 2i, VPI CLassic with Ortofon black cartridge, Audio research PH3 SE phono stage, audioquest rocket 88 loudspeaker cable and cinnamon interconnects. REVEL PERFORMA3 F208 VS TEKTON MOAB.  Got 5 grand to spend and I have narrowed it down to these two loudspeakers.  
I appreciate all your inputs.  Keep in mind I have a powerful amplifier ( Krell FPB 400CX). I heard the Revels and have Tekton ENZO XL's with 7 tweeter array so I know the Tekton sound. I feel the Revel's to be a better engineered loudspeaker. With in house high end drivers, a higher end crossover and a much more finished product. I like tekton for the value but the appearance looks like I could have bought a router and paint sprayer from home depot and built them myself. The Moab is intriguing though will those big eminence woofers and fabric dome arrays. Wish I could hear the Moab's. 
I do like to play loud.  I heard the Revels in a very large room hooked up to some 22k dollar 300 watt per channel McIntosh tube amps and they played insanely loud. My Tekton Enzo Xl's play insanely loud as well so its a given the Moab's will. My concern is that there is not a proper midrange in the Moab and that those tweeter clusters will lack dynamics because they have no excursion. If you look at Tektons higher end speakers they couple midbass drivers to them . 
Wow Miller Carbon!!! You should open up your own Tekton showroom!  You make me want to call Tammy and put a pair of Moab's on order right now. The problem I have is that my Enzo Xl's with 7 tweeter array sound good but you do hear the cheap drivers and poor cabinet construction. If you look at Moabs, it's a lot of the same. Chinese made wavecor tweeters, woofers that were designed for guitar amps, and a cabinet that has horrible resonances. The Revel has far superior engineered drivers, a resonance free cabinet, home decor friendly looks and designed by Kevin Voecks who has forgotten more than Erik Alexander will ever know about how to design a loudspeaker.  
I was knocking the Revels by them being made in Indonesia but me finding out that the tekton Moab tweeters come from China makes the Revels feel like David Wilson built them himself.  
listened to KEF R900's. The Revels smoked them. KEF's don't rock. B&W don't rock either.  
I can get 30 percent off f208 Revels Because I used to work for a store that sells them and I have tekton Enzo Xl's that I can trade in on Moabs so I am going to buy both and then see for myself side by side which sounds better . 
A 60 watt per channel amp tube or solid state won't control the large woofers on the Tektons. It turns into a sloppy mess. Tube lovers don't care, they love the colored sound of tubes through the midrange. I put a VTL ST 150 on my Tekton Enzo XL's, it was a sloppy mess. Sorry, not my style. Put a Jeff Rowland Model 1, 60 wpc solid state. It ran out of gas. Nothing less than 200 watts per channel please. I don't care if the sensitivity is 105 db. I like to rock. 
It is funny to see the same Tekton fan boys on here. I bought a pair just to see what they were about. They are decent loudspeakers. Wouldn't claim them to be a Magico or Wilson caliber. They sure have a bright, alive, arena rock sound. Good recordings with natural instruments like drums and piano sound very lifelike with Tektions. They are a small company sold factory direct so it intrigues me to see how they stack up against loudspeakers from huge companies with a lot of R&D money. 
Everybody has their own opinion on what is good sound. A friend of mine brought 2 different tube amps over to go against my Krell. The Krell slaughtered them both. a BAT VK55se and a VTL ST150 were thoroughly spanked so bad by my Krell on the Tektons that there was starting to be excuses why they didn't sound as good such as wrong cables, bad room etc. Look, tubes offer grain free mids and Hi's at the expense of coloring the sound.  Then you have bass. The bass with tube amps is sloppy, uncontrolled and bloated especially when trying to control large diameter pro audio drivers that are in tektons. Erick Alexander himself doesn't use tube amps on his Tektons for the above reasons. Nelson Pass was once told his amps were tube like, he was offended by the remark and said he hoped his amps sounded nothing like them. lol. But to each his own in this hobby. 
Stick to a direct coupled solid state amp on Tektons. The only Tube amps I have ever heard that I could live with, I can't afford. Audio research REF 150, VTL MB 185, 450's, Manley Snappers, and some huge McIntosh tube monos that cost 22 grand .  Go FET's on the solid state if you can. You can put a tube preamp on the solid state amp if you want to sweeten the sound. Word on the street is PASS LABS is the best amp to put on Tektons. 
Millercarbon I would have to bring the Krell in tow to hear your Moabs as I would be crying hearing your wimpy 50 wpc tube integrated choke out at the music and listening levels I listen to. 
David Wilson, Richard Vandersteen and John Dunlavy wouldn't agree with that article. Nelson Pass designs nice amps, but not loudspeakers.  
Dunlavy was one of the best. I sold his loudspeakers as a young man in the 1990's. SC IV and V's were and still are great loudspeakers . 
one watt of tube power equals 5 of solid state? Well you should have told the VTL MB450 that when it choked out playing Dire straits money for nothing intro while the Krell hit every note distortion free. A tube amp powering 4 12 inch eminence woofers with NEO magnets and 3 inch voice coils will not get the job done.  
The cartoon analogy is a good one. I hear the boosted top end and bloated bass in my Enxo Xl's and might agree with stringreen. Has Tetkon created a Cerwin Vega on steroids? But sometimes they are fun to listen to. 
ozzy62, enjoy your sports car (corvette) with a truck engine and truck leaf spring suspension. If your Auduo tastes are the same as your car tastes then a sony boombox at Best buy will fit your needs. 
glupson enjoy your Emotiva stack, I am firing up the Krell, Ayre and VPI on Wilsons. Have a good night. lmao!!!
I have 3 pairs of loudspeakers.  Gear changes on a monthly basis. Tektons aren't bad, I own a pair and like them. Wilsons are fine loudspeakers and gupson probably couldn't afford to keep them so he trashes them. Thecarpathian is upset radio shack is no longer in business because that's where he bought his gear. lmao!!!
Moab's are on order!!!! They went up in price but Tammy gave me the old pricing!!! Thank you goners for your advice and input and as always some fun banter!!! 
I can even be buried in them when I die skypunk.  Now enjoy streaming to your TV and saying how great the imaging is. 
twoleftears, enjoy your B&W 801's from the 1980's thinking they are still relevant.  Lmao!!!