REVEL performa3 f208 or TEKTON Moab

I have about 5 grand to spend on loudspeakers.  Of these 2, Tekton Moab and Revel performa3 f208, which one would you goners buy? Or any recommendations? I have an old Krell FPB 400CX, Ayre K5xe mp, Wadia 321 Dac, VPI Classic turntable. 
jeffvegas

Showing 12 responses by audio2design

Physics and electrical engineering does not change suddenly because you don't own a speaker company. I don't own a speaker company, but I likely know far more about truly advanced active speaker design than David, Richard and John combined.

Pass has done extensive measurements with his amplifiers driving real speakers, so his body of knowledge extends well beyond just the terminals on the back of his amplifiers.
98dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity, that is not 98db 1W. They offer it in 8 and 4 ohm, and you know this is going to be at 4ohm. So at best 95db, which is 6db over what Stereophile measured on the f208. As noted, Tekton has measured way below spec on their other speakers (6.5 db lower on the Impact, 5.9 on the Enzo).

2 * sqrt(14 * (1/2)^2) = 3.75" not 9"

Not sure where that 9" midrange area came from, but whoever came up with that is bad at math.

Used to have 90db/watt speakers being driven by a 50 watt Sugden with a lot of headroom. Those speakers had dual-8" woofers and my room was similar to Miller's but lower ceilings 7.5-8'.  Never had any issue "shaking the walls" or reaching listening levels beyond what most would enjoy.
Yup ... okay.

Best used deal I ever got (besides my Khorns) were the Thiel CS 2.3. I think the Thiel would slaughter the Revel. That was a properly engineered speaker, not a mass produced Harmon product.  

I hate those mass produced Toyota's and Honda's and BMW's and .... terrible engineering.

25mm domes according to the literature and I included the formula.
gosta584 posts12-07-2020 5:04amWas that math correct. All those mid-tweeters equaling one 3,75"?

Only smaller gauge inductors appear to be targeted at the upper frequency where there already appears to be resistors for level matching so the largest gauge really does not matter. The low frequency inductors are not air core for the intentional reason to reduce DC resistance.
rikkitik8 posts12-15-2020 4:58pmThe 208 uses small guage, high dcr coils, and iirc, at least one electrolytic in the signal path
John Dunlavy also said this,

Dunlavy: That's right. You can go one way but not the other. Flat on-axis response provides very poor correlation, in general, with what you hear. On the other hand, if you have near-perfect impulse and step responses, it follows that you must also then have from that a near-perfect frequency response on-axis. And using a first-order crossover network is the only way you can achieve accurate impulse and step responses. As soon as you go to a second-order crossover, the impulse response is hideous. 

And as Toole proved when at Harman, a flat on-axis response was absolutely critical to how well a speaker will be considered to sound.

You are here for comedic relief aren’t you?

Bear in mind one tube watt equals about three to five or more solid state watts. Turns out running the signal through all those extra wires and circuits chokes the life right out of the music.

Well that turned ugly quick.

I have heard the Tektons a few times, and while I don't think they are the ultimate in refinement, they are a respectable speaker at the price point.   It appears they do some critical things well, namely a flat frequency response and smooth off axis response. A lot of far more expensive speakers do that very poorly.

I am guessing a lot of the negative posts are not based on actual comparative listening but just trolling.
Tell me, do these posts sound like those of someone who owns Wilsons?   I will leave people to their own conclusions, but have come to the conclusion the OP is just a troll.

Stumbled across a pair of these beasts at a used stereo store. I can get them for 3 grand. The loudspeakers are probably 30 years old. Would you goners grab these for 3 grand or get something new for 3 grand. What new would you recommend for 3 grand?
jeffvegas

WOULD IT BE DUMB TO BUY A MARK LEVINSON NO 23.5

This amp is probably 30 years old. There is one I can grab for 2500 bucks. Good buy? Too old? What do you goners think?

Can you put a Krell in an apartment?

As you see I am a total "goner" living in a cheap apartment with about 50 grand in Audiophile equipment. I am looking at purchasing an old krell "FPB 400 CX" amp that the manufacturer says needs a dedicated 20 amp line. Can you still run this amp off a regular electrical outlet? If you can, will it sound like crap? jeffvegas

Rega planar 3 or Project X2? Which is the better turntable?

looking at the Rega planar 3 and Project X2. Which do you goners think is a better turntable?
jeffvegas06-17-2020 9:50pm Report this

Creek CD50

What do you "goners" think about this product. I am an audiophile on a strict budget. This unit apparently plays CD's, is a preamp, has a DAC so you can stream as well. Any experiences with this product? Came across one used for 700 bucks. Should I make a move on it? jeffvegas

You are feeding the troll ...

Stumbled across a pair of these beasts at a used stereo store. I can get them for 3 grand. The loudspeakers are probably 30 years old. Would you goners grab these for 3 grand or get something new for 3 grand. What new would you recommend for 3 grand?
jeffvegas

WOULD IT BE DUMB TO BUY A MARK LEVINSON NO 23.5

This amp is probably 30 years old. There is one I can grab for 2500 bucks. Good buy? Too old? What do you goners think?

Can you put a Krell in an apartment?

As you see I am a total "goner" living in a cheap apartment with about 50 grand in Audiophile equipment. I am looking at purchasing an old krell "FPB 400 CX" amp that the manufacturer says needs a dedicated 20 amp line. Can you still run this amp off a regular electrical outlet? If you can, will it sound like crap? jeffvegas

Rega planar 3 or Project X2? Which is the better turntable?

looking at the Rega planar 3 and Project X2. Which do you goners think is a better turntable?
jeffvegas06-17-2020 9:50pm Report this

Creek CD50

What do you "goners" think about this product. I am an audiophile on a strict budget. This unit apparently plays CD's, is a preamp, has a DAC so you can stream as well. Any experiences with this product? Came across one used for 700 bucks. Should I make a move on it? jeffvegas