Revamp Garrard 301, keep Oracle V or move along?

Hello,

I have an Oracle V with turbo,SME V & Koetsu RSP cartridge cable is Hovland Music Groove.

I also have a very nice condition cream Garrard grease bearing 301 for which I built a CLD plinth weighing in at some 60lbs with a modified Rega300 for experimental purposes. Image here:

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?u=127&f=DSC00407.JPG&v=f&UserImages=127&session=&&moniker=AJ&invite=&w=675&h=506

Preamp is a Aesthetix Io Signature w/volume controls and 2 power supplies. I also use some restored vintage pre's used from time to time: Marantz 1,Arc SP8 etc. Amps are Berning Zh270, Wyetech Topaz, and vintage Marantz 2 or Citation II.

Whats my best bang for the buck?: invest into bearings and commercial plinths/platters and a 12" arm with the Garrard or sell the Oracle and Garrard and move on: thinking TW acustic or SME20?

I like the SME V because its easy and I have less time now to fuss around but am open to a clearly superior piece that's not astronomical: Phantom or Triplaner?... would love a Breur or Gradenza but the $ must get much stronger for that.

This solely for a change and to consolidate and make room nothing very wrong.. I use Quad ESLs so dynamics are not a strong point...(that's another thread!...looking for HE single driver speakers eventually)..So on the front end those experienced with the revamped Garrards do you have a opinion or advice?...

Thanks, Nkj
nkj

Showing 1 response by gmorris

I would like to add my comments in reaction to Mikelavigne's characterization of the Oracle MKV as “lean” sounding. That may well be Mikel’s experience based on the associated equipment, etc. But in my system, the Oracle MKV SE (granite base)/Helikon/Phantom combination is certainly not lean sounding. In fact the Oracle MKV is a much underrated turntable. Its strong points are its mechanical quietude, coherent musicality and huge sound stage with surprisingly taut and tuneful bass. This is a super performing table that is reasonably priced. To me it’s a keeper.