Results of Actual Hearing Test and Next Steps

Like probably many on this forum I’m getting into that post 60 age where hearing may not hear as well as it once was. To baseline where I stand today, I arranged a professional assessment. Results:

• 10dB loss at 2K Hz
  • 20dB loss at 4K Hz
  • 20dB loss at 8K Hz
  • Word recognition 100% at 70dB
  • Sound tolerance to 110dB (that’s loud)

Summary; mild to moderate loss at higher frequencies; muddled conversations in group settings. No urgent need for hearing aids but higher volume may be required for media.

I listen to music mostly at the 70-85 dB range; most theatrical movies and concerts can go as high as 95-100dB which is too loud for me. My McIntosh MA352 has EQ knobs which I rarely use. I prefer direct sound without boosting and play mostly vinyl. Also have EQ in my car.

I tried enhancing EQ settings at 2K and 10K Hz and found it did add more detail; at least it was an agreeable sound. My hope is to avoid hearing aids for as long as possible and still get maximum music enjoyment.

Anybody else encountering this or have some workarounds to suggest?

128x128socalml528

Showing 1 response by mark200mph

20 dB is normal for your age in the medical world. You did not state what it is after 8 k on the audiogram.most men lose thier hearing in the higher frequencies hfsnhl high frequency sensory neural hearing loss called presbycussis. That is where the women's voice is alot at least my excuse.there can be a conductive hearing loss such as fluid behind the eardrum that can cause hearing loss of up to 30 dB. This is acute and most likely why some people get thir hearing back because the fluid goes away after a while. A tympanogram is a great way of testing for fluid behind the drum.you audiogram should have that in the report somewhere.idought you have a conductive loss more like nerve loss due to aging. Long term loud noise exposure without hearing protection leads to high frequency hearing loss..again need to see you hearing in higher frequencies on the audiogram. I would not recommend hearing aids for a 20 dB loss but I'll bet you have more in the high frequencies.digital aids now can be programed frequency specific.of course we have to give the disclaimer of see your local ent md.ive been doing it 30 pluss years.enjoy the music