Restored my dads R2R but no tape loop on integrated

My dad found his old Teac A-3300SX-2T in storage and I’m having it restored currently. I wanted to do some recording from my TT and eventually from a CD transport as well if I end up adding one. My integrated is a Cambridge Audio CXA81 with no tape loop (only a pre-out option).

Tape selector?

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/sb-500.shtml
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/ds-5.shtml

I found a few models like the Sony SB500 or Akai DS-5. My thought was to connect the Teac input/output to ‘Tape 1’, phono stage output to ‘Tape 2’ and output from ‘Source’ to a line input on my integrated. Would this introduce any type of feedback loop while recording?

This would save me from moving cables around but it also means that my TT signal is always passing through the switch even when listening to it directly. I’ve read that these older switches are prone to oxidization and require some cleaning usually as well as constant exercising of the switches.

I wouldn’t want to potentially degrade the sound quality of my primary listening source to allow recording to a R2R

Phonostage direct to R2R?

The other option would be connecting my phonostage output directly to the Teac whenever I want to record. But this would involve the hassle of swapping phonostage output from integrated to r2r and back. Also I would only be able to monitor the source using the headphone out on the Teac and the built in output selector switch.

Rethink CXA81?

Is there another option available outside of completely rethinking my choice of integrated amplifier? The R2R holds more sentimental value than anything so I feel like it would be silly to start swapping major components for an unexpected add-on.
jvonoldershausen
Huh?
A true tape loop unit will have tone control that can be applied to the loop.

A "true" tape loop has nothing to do with EQ.
It is only a circuit that adds another layer to the amps outputs avoiding feedback. It’s inputs come from the selector switch. It’s outputs go to the monitor switch. You can put a recorder in there, and/or any processing (EQ, compressor, expander, etc.) that you desire. I use a dBx 400 switchbox that allows 3 recorders and 4 processors pre or post.
If the recorder’s outputs go to the selector switch you WILL get bleed through (maybe inaudible) and eventually you WILL punch record with it selected. Maybe later, maybe sooner.

The $64K question is:.
Why tape record in 2021?

Why tape record in 2021?
With a good set of mics you can make nice recordings of real things.

Or- you could make a mix tape of just what you want to hear, rather than have to listen to cuts you don't like on an LP, CD or streamed album.
@fuzztone Thanks for clarifying. So basically having inputs/outputs connected to selector switch will lead to feedback (even if inaudible) and if I were to accidentally record with the selector set to R2R output this could cause damage.

I don’t think I will be swapping the integrated, in the short term at least, so I think phono preamp direct to R2R and R2R output to line in on my integrated would be the simplest option. And monitor using the headphone jack on R2R which i would prefer anyways vs having it play out on my speakers (i could even keep my integrated in standby during recording this way). However, that would require me to disconnect phono preamp from R2R and connect directly to my integrated for normal playback of my TT or always play through the R2R and set monitor to ‘Source’.

One thing i hadn’t considered is my phonostage (Hegel V10) has dual outputs in the form of unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR. I reached out to their customer service and they said there is no issue having both connected simultaneously. So I was wondering if I could connect the unbalanced RCA direct to R2R for recording and connected the balanced XLR direct to integrated for normal TT playback. This would remove the need to constantly unplug & move connections. During TT recording I would keep my integrated in standby, the phonostage would feed direct into the R2R and i could monitor from headphones. During TT playback I would leave the R2R turned off and select the XLR input on my integrated. During R2R playback I would select that input on my integrated.

Why tape in 2021? To be honest I have no good reason aside from the sentimental value it holds being my dads old R2R. He was in music production and it was a timely coincidence that he found it in storage as I only put together my hifi system a few months ago. Along with that he pulled out a trunk of 100+ records which i haven’t had a chance to look through yet.

@oldhvymec Thanks for the tip on speakers & vibration during recording. Initially i thought it would be easier to monitor through speakers but due to my lack of tape loop and possible feedback, using headphones connected to R2R seems the best option.

I’ve looked into direct head playback mods but I’m trying to avoid getting sucked in too deep as its a huge time investment and I’m already spending more than expected on this R2R restoration.

@vinylzone Yes you're right, its switches output of the headphone jack and rca outputs on the back. So that would give me the option of monitoring either through speakers or headphones i guess.

A "true" tape loop has nothing to do with EQ.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At least when you stick your foot in your mouth it stops you from say the wrong thing..

A LOOP, think why would you need a TAPE LOOP? Adding EQ and tone control is the ONLY reason for a loop.. PERIOD. You monitor from the source and EQ as YOU see fit..

That’s right to monitor and correct (on the fly if need be). There is no other reason to have one.. The actual tape loop was made for one thing RECORDIND.. Everything else was an afterthought.. You can dub from different sources and MIX too. It’s not all digital but it was the way it was done. Nothing to do with a tape loop? You sure about that fuzz? :-)

Look at the face of a C20 Mac and you’ll notice different preset EQ curves set for either Tape or LP.. and RECORDIND from either MIC or another source a Tape, LP or Mic.. A lot of music departments had Mcintosh just for that reason...My HS actually ran Mac..

I know you use a line stage preamp too... Of course you do..

Anyone that doesn’t have EQ or tone control, I’m usually not listening too long to there rigs.. Pretty simple..

It’s not a phono loop or an AUX loop it’s a TAPE LOOP.. the OP is recording.

Yes I use my R2R to record Humming birds talk ALL the time.. Quite a chatty bunch..
I'm a BIG fart recorder too.. left cheek sneak coming up... WOW 105 DB. we have a winner.. :-)

Regards
That deck is amazing, I had one S version, and your SX version.

The tape recorder automatically does the Tape EQ process during recording and during playback, so you can play it into any line level input. A pre-recorded tape will have been pre-equalized, and will be re-equalized by the recorder during playback.

It has EQ and Bias switches for two different tape types that existed back then: either NORMAL or HIGH (low noise/high output tape).

Recording source direct to tape inputs: You will VERY LIKELY be successful, you have meters and individual volume control for each track for both inputs while recording, and for output when playing. Start with your inputs turned down, you want to do a level test without blasting the meters and internals. You also have MIC inputs and individual volume controls for them. 

You want as strong a signal as possible without distortion, the content 'above' the tape's inherent noise. Don't be afraid to let the needles jump into the red some while recording, or playback, just don't over-do it. You use your amp's volume for the speakers. Some tapes were purposely recorded with one track slightly stronger than the other, so always play a segment listening/watching your meters, balance them, start over. 

My 2 track stereo tapes are my best sounding source. They have twice the magnetic material of later 4 track tape. That deck also has the pro speed 15 ips as well as 7-1/2 ips (no 3-3/4 ips).

However, it is ’half track’, a dedicated 2 track head, with wider tracks than modern 4 track tapes. You can record stereo in one direction, and play what you record. You can play ONLY 2 track tapes, either ones you make, your father previously made, or VERY OLD (I have some) pre-recorded 2 track stereo tapes. Stereo in one direction, rewind. They existed beginning 1956 and ended when 4 track became popular, so content is limited by that era.

Another option is two independent mono tracks: either

a. same direction, turn one or the other track’s volume to zero (this deck has a separate on/off switch for each track); lots of rewinding involved; or

b. two mono tracks, different directions. use one track, record, flip tape, using the same head, record on the 2nd track the other direction.

Buying tape: do some research, some vintage tapes had shedding issues. I have extra blank tapes (nothing special) if you want a few to mess with, send me a message, I'll send them. If you find you stick with it, then get high quality tapes.