may need correction.

Some friends of my ''discovered'' that Replicant (Ortofon), Decca and

''Expert stylus'' are the same. As is/was the case with Gyger and

Van den Hul. Van den Hul designed Gyeger I, II and S (?) but

Gyger produced them. This was obviously kept secret for commercial

reasons.

My assertion is that Expert stylus (Paratrace) provide them to the

other mentioned.

Is anybody capable to check this information?

128x128nandric

pindac, Thanks for your ''conclusion'' for MY THREAD (grin).

It does not count as ''intellectual property'' but we all have some

idea about what belongs to whom. Now my conclusion is that 

needlestein deed not ''exactly'' grasped my invitation to provide

''address'' of Gyger (alias Geiger). What I meant with ''address''

is the address were our members can get  Gyger retip. So

reference to Switzerland will not do, We can also explain the

''Decca mystery''. John wright and Mr. Hodgson from ''Expert 

stylus'' are close friends. So those ''Decca styli'' are produced

by Expert stylus but not necessarily glued in Decca's by Hodgson.

However this would make  John's work more easy.

As said before does the reference made from Ortofon about their Replicant, that is supplied in a form where Ultra Fine with Extra Polishing are the distinguished merits.

Does such a Treatment of the Styli, produce enough of a Variant for Ortofon to claim their own particular form for the Styli ? 

Either way if I want one I will need to go direct to a Ortofon Cartridge as New Model, Used Model or Donor Model for a Hybrid Cart'.  

pindac, If I understand you well you mean ''REBUILD '' Ortofon but because

of  dover you avoid this expression? 

@nandric Thank You for offering a description on my behalf, there is a difference between us on Two Accounts.

I have not been influenced by a forum member/members and expressed a careful use of a term to dilute my meaning.

If I were to use the term 'rebuild' it would be from my interpretation, an attempt to produce an item that was a close mimic or best match to a item that was previously in place, and attempt to reproduce something that had been valued.

When I refer to a Hybrid Cart' I am referring to a Cart' that will be assembled using elements that are valued in other designs, but all the parts used in the assembly will not be seen usually as a production from a particular Brand.

To achieve this the assembly will be undertaken by a Technician who is trusted in their field of work and quite capable of producing a Cart' that offers a very good performance.

I own Cart's produced from such methods of production and at present have a Cart' awaiting a treatment to produce another variation of a Hybrid Cart.

To date I have shared in being a member of an audience at demonstrations where  a few models produced from this method have been used.

In certain cases, it has been possible to have been able to compare a Hybrid model to a model that has remained as per the manufacturers production.

I am yet to be introduced to a Bespoke Built, Hybrid Model that does not excel  during a demonstration and when used in a comparison to other models using the same core elements, I am not yet to to discover a Hybrid Model that has been outperformed during the demonstration and assessed to be an incorrect choice made for the Cartridge.

I have shared in dialogue with services that offer the use of variations of elements to produce a Bespoke Built Cart' and it is quite interesting the differences that certain technicians are able to communicate on.  There are technicians who really do hear your preferences and suggest a method of assembly to get close to a product that reflects the requests being made.  

At the same time, I do believe there are experiences to be had where a Bespoke Built - Hybrid Cart, can be a let down as a finished item. My suspicion/concern is that a service selected to complete the works that does not fully understand the requirements of the end user can be a large proportion of the reasons why the end product failed to impress.   

pindac, Sorry my intention was to tease dover. I need to rephrase 

the problem.  If we think in the context of ''wear and tear'' reg. parts

in an (MC) cartridge we can ''deduce'' that styli are the first candidate.

So after, say, 1000 hour of use, one is forced to think about stylus

replacement in order to protect his records. There is not much ''wear

and tear'' by other parts (original or not) except by very old carts

by dampers. Because Replicant is used only (?) by Ortofon one can

ask Ortofon about Replicant  replacement. But Ortofon does not

offer ''stylus only'' replacement but the ''whole rebuild'' which is,alas,

not clear at all. Rebuild what? We have hiding names, curious vocabulary,

styli in disguise (Decca & Paratrace) and different names for Gyger.

If : ''Gyger=Replicant=  Paratrace'' than ordering stylus only replacement

(aka ''my retip'') is clear and obvious choice. This was btw our assertion

by introduction of this thread. Members who compared those 3 with

microscope and were convince that they are equal but not ''identical''

(grin). So conclusion ''in short'': ordering replacement by Expert stylus.

If any of the Styli mentioned in this thread that are produced are appearing to have evolved from a similar origin and are close mimics of the Styli form that is the origin.

Is it not a belief by many that such a Styli is able to be used as an upgrade part to be exchanged with Styli selected to be used on another Brands Model.

The question 'is' and one that has already been loosely addressed in previous posts, as a report on how subjective assessments have been made on the impact of a Styli on a Cart' , how much does such a Styli Form impact on the overall performance for the better.

The subjective assessments referred to earlier, seems to suggest the 'for the better' is achieved when the whole of the assembly is considered as being responsible for the improvements detected.

I can purchase a  (Ska) SKYANALOG Cart' that is a Companies own Brand, and from a Company that has become an established Manufacturer , which has been producing Cart's for Brands most with a enthusiasm for Vinyl will have come across.

With the (Ska), I can get latest technology materials used and from reports on offer from growing users, have access to a Cart' that has put known and admired  Branded Cart's on the Sub's Bench.

Will taking such model from the (Ska) range and putting a Gyger 'S' or a variant on to it, now produce a Cart' that will be a cut above all (Ska) models without the Tip Exchange ?

Will taking such model from the (Ska) range with latest technologies on board and putting a Gyger 'S' or a variant on to it, produce a Cart' that will hold its own and perform at a level that much more expensive Cart's are able to deliver ?

As is the case by all ''collective valuations'' the members of our

forum which participate in this and the other connected thread

should decide which contribution is more clear. 

''names and reference'' again.

The dominant sentence form consist of ''subject connective (is) and

predicate'' . The name say nothing about its bearer that is why

we need predicates to ''describe'' the bearer. 

This however is different in trade relations. Among intellectual properties

there also trademark. As example we can name the case of ''Audio

note Japan'' and ''Audio note uk''. Kondo san designer and owner

of Audio Note Japan was cheated by Audio note UK. Audio note was

trademark in UK and as such protected  by British law. This made

stealing of Audio note Japan products possible.

ASR from Germany known as ''Basis Exclusive phono-pre'' and

''Emitter II amp '' has as trademark in Germany ''HIFI Exclusive'' but

this does not apply abroad. So for their export ASR needed some

other tradename.

Well Gyger is also an trademark  so this explains why ''Paratrace'' is

different name . Patents are not relevant because expired while

trademarks can be prolonged.

“Well Gyger is also an trademark so this explains why ’’Paratrace’’ is

different name . Patents are not relevant because expired”

This statement is just confusing because you are comparing a company name, Gyger, and a product name, “Paratrace.”

A company name distinguishes one company from other companies. A brand name distinguishes the products of one company from the products of another company.

It would be very odd indeed for Expert Stylus to market a diamond called the Gyger. I suppose they could, but I assume that Gyger keeps the trademark up to date on its brand. Expert is the only company we are talking about that doesn’t actually bear the name of the company founder. Both Gyger and van den Hul are both eponymously named. Gyger could probably produce a diamond called the “Paratrace” is they wanted to and it might not even cause an issue. After all, people are confused already as to what’s what. MicroLine is often used generically to describe any line contact. But it’s actually a trademarked name, although I notice now that in the latest Audio-Technica materials, the name MicroLine has a large circled “R” for copyright. Legally, I don’t understand how MicroLine is protected by copyright.

Copyright laws do not protect names, titles, or short phrases. Trademark law, by contrast, protects distinctive words, phrases, logos, symbols, slogans, and any other devices used to identify and distinguish products or services in the marketplace

Maybe they lapsed the trademark and are still trying to scare people away from using the name????

I could give you the address of a retipper who installs Gyger diamonds, but that would constitute self-advertising here on Audiogon. I don’t think that’s allowed. You’ll just have to find me on your own.

There is more to the story of the Decca diamond that makes it unique. It’s 0.25mm square. Most manufacturers only go up to 0.20 mm square. The only manufacturer who makes a diamond that large is: you guessed it, Expert Stylus. That’s proof enough for me that Expert makes it. However, I have old FFSS from which I have removed round shank diamonds. So, even though the receiver is a certain size, Decca clearly used smaller diamonds and made up the difference with cement. John Wright prefers to use the largest size diamond he can fit into the receiver but I have retipped Decca with 0.20 mm square diamonds without any problem.

needlestein, thanks to keep my thread alive. Your contribution to

intellectual property is less interesting than to Decca's dimensions.

I own Ikeda's 9 series REX which is MC ''opposite'' to Decca. 

Its diamond also looks larger than ''usual exotic kinds''. Except

of course ''micro ridge'' which ''explains itself'' , so to speak.

What I am wondering about based on my own experience with

''Expert stylus'' is : ''how such small company'' can produce

Gyger kinds of styli + retip works? My only guess is that exclusive

contracts make this possible. My correspondence was either with

Julia or Mr. Hodgson. 

i