Replacing speakers in Lat-1's

Can I put better speakers in cabinet to get better sound?
radrog
Not unless you know how to rework a crossover network. A designer spends countless hours modeling and testing those exact drivers and crossover parts in that exact cabinet until the desired results are obtained. The sum of ALL parts including the cabinets work together and they all have specific values associated to them. If one decides they like a different brand woofer, mid or tweeter, that alternate driver has a totally different set of T/S parameters and will react differently in the Lat's crossover and cabinet configuration. Most if not all of the time in a negative manner. Crossovers are built very specific to the intended drivers and their placement in the cabinet.
Surely speakers that cost a whopping jar dropping $37k should be awesome already, no?
Then again Krell use cheapo cones (apparently).
Just thought I would ask since the Lat-1's have one of the best crossovers money can buy in them. Thought if i get same impedance etc. I could get a better speaker to put in the Lat-1's.
Just thought I would ask since the Lat-1's have one of the best crossovers money can buy in them. Thought if i get same impedance etc. I could get a better speaker to put in the Lat-1's.

There is a heck of a lot more to matching specifications than driver impedance! If you take just the impedance, you'll find this varies with frequency. First, there is the DC electrical resistance. Then you have the AC impedance which will vary with frequency. The curve for 8 ohm driver "A" may be completely different than the plot for 8 ohm driver "B".

If these don't match exactly, your "best crossover money can buy" might as well be a generic unit from Parts Express.

From there you have "free air resonance", the "Q" (both electrical and mechanical), dispersion patterns, excursion potentials, equivalent air compliance and on and on.

I guess my question for you would be: what's wrong with the current drivers?

For my system, the LAST thing I'd want would be drivers that were not specifically selected for my speakers.
Ok I just learned something. Nothing is wrong with them. Just thought I could upgrade the speakers. I guess I was wrong.