Replacing Parasound A52+ With Anthem MCA 525 Gen2?

Hi all. I've been contemplating something and I could use your help in making sense of it all. So I'm looking to build out a new system where I'll have a 5ch amp power my center and surrounds only. Currently, I'm using Parasound A52+ 5ch amp to power my center (Paradigm Studio Reference v4 CC690) and surrounds (4x Paradigm 25s). It works well for that but I am looking to upgrade my system with the following components:

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM90
Front L/R: Paradigm Persona 7F
Front L/R Amp: Parasound JC5
Center: Paradigm Persona C
Surrounds: Paradigm 25s (same as before)

So my thought process is this: The Persona C is a huge step up from the Studio v4 CC690 and I feel that it should have more power to get the most out of it. However, while a great amp the A52+'s concession is in it's 4ohm power capability. The amp is rated at 180W x5 into 8 ohm but only 255W x5 into 4 ohm (nowhere close to doubling power). Meanwhile the Parasound 21/51 and the Anthem MCA 525 Gen both are rated at 400W @4ohm, much better than the A52+. The Persona C will likely spend much of it's time closer to 4 ohm rather than 8 ohm based on reviews so I feel it will need something with better 4 ohm capability. To that end I have 2 options:

1. Keep the A52+ and A21 even after getting the JC5 for the front L/R in order to have the A21 power the Persona C directly. The A52+ will only power the surrounds and the JC5 will power the front L/R. The advantage here is I don't have to buy an additional amp and the A21 has 400W into 4ohm
  2. Get an Anthem MCA 525 Gen2 to replace both the A52+ and the A21. The 525 Gen2 will then be used for the Persona C plus the 4 surround speaks and it delivers 400W into 4ohm as well so should be more robust. It's also cheaper than a Parasound A51 by quite a bit and would be a nice match for sister company Paradigm speakers

Option #2 is desired because I would have 1 less amp taking up space and not wasting channels that I don't need.

The question is, do folks feel that the A52+ would be inadequate to power a Persona C given it's low ohm ratings? Would the Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2 be a reasonable upgrade for powering the Persona C specially?

tistru

Showing 1 response by perryleros