Replacing my Krell FPB 600 amp with a tube amp

Im thinking of replacing my Krell FPB 600 amp with  tube amp . I really love the power and bass slam of the Krell FPB 600.Could i possibly find that with a tube amp? I was thinking of the ARC Ref 250 mono blocks. I am also using an ARC Ref 6 preamp. The only thing i can think of with this much power and bass slam would be the ARC Ref 750se. Any other suggestions and how would the ARC Ref 250s as compared to the Krell FPB 600. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Showing 12 responses by tattooedtrackman

Oh forgot to mention i am also running B&W Matrix 800s tri wired and Krell bass alignment filters (2) balanced 
jimcgrogan2....I have thought about that a while back . Maybe its time really consider that again. Thanks
dweller.....My Arc Ref 6 does not have a variable preamp out...                       almarg.....Wow i would of never guessed that. Thanks...                                 dweller..... I too now dont see any advantage to bi amping                               dweller......Question....If i was going to go with tube amps , say ARC Ref 250 se, why would i need a subwoofer? My B&W Matrix 800s have plenty of bass, even more so with my Krell B&W Bass alignment filters when is called for.
rcprince ...... I was also thinking the same thing that a tube amp wolnt control my speakers as well as the Krell. Unless i buy the ARC Ref 750se.    lak.....Thank you but im really not interested in Carver....
aoliviero..... I just read your review and i really did like what i read about it. Especially compared to the Krell FPB 600. Wonder how it compared to the ARC Ref 750se. 
dweller.... That is correct... I will tell you that this ARC Ref 6 is so awesome in sound that it will very likely be my very last preamp. You must hear it to believe and appreciate it. 
dweller......100% correct !!!!                                                                              
gerorgehifi.....REALLY !!!!!!! "YOU"BE BACK" ...........Meaning ill be back to the Krell FPB 600??
George.. Thank you for the info. Maybe i would of been better off with this thread in the speaker forum. One thing i know is that i will be keeping these speakers. I will tell you that the Krell FPB 600 cruises with the B&W Matrix 800s. But i was just thinking how a tube amp would sound and be with these speakers. And i never thought of it sounding disjointed bi amping until you and Almarg briefly pointed out. Being all that said maybe id be better off keeping my Krell matched to my 800s. 
George ......I cant see selling my ARC Ref 6 preamp and Rega Isis cdp to even something really good with a volume control that drives the Krell direct and have it sound half as good as with the ARC Ref 6 pramp. I even upped from the ARC Ref 5se to the 6 just because it was that much of a HUGE improvement over the 5se. The sound that i have acquired with my new ARC Ref sounds phenomena to ME. "I should not mess with a good thing". IMO now. 
pesky_wabbit ....Actually i LOVE my Krell FPB 600. I actually feel like it supplies everything i could possible want in a solid state amp and more. I just thought if i am missing something with a tube amp that has that much power and some warmth that tubes provide. I just bought a brand new Ref 6 ARC preamp and besides the ARC Ref 5 se that i only had about 2 or 3 weeks before i demoed the ARC Ref 6 which i found it to be a night and day difference bet the 5 se. This was the first time i ever had a tube preamp. So with that said that is why i was thinking about a tube amp. Another words i would never go back to a solid state preamp. The only thing i could possibly see myself buying to replace the Krell FPB 600 is the ARC Ref 750 or the 750 se amp. for its power. Also my Krell FPB 600 sounds like a match match made in heaven with my B&W 800 Matrix. But always wondered what a powerful tune amp would sound like with my B&W 800s.