Replacing driver screws with brass screws

There was some discussion about this on Millercarbon's thread about the Moab speakers, and I wanted to pursue the subject further without interfering with his thread.
As I stated there, I have heard about this practice for quite a few years, but never tried it because it seemed like one of those lunatic fringe ideas; and even though I actually really enjoy trying tweaks, and have found many of them effective, I just was not prepared for what this one did for the music coming out of my speakers. 
Specifically, it improved the detail in ambient trails, focus in general, complex harmonics in voices and stringed instruments, and instrumental separation. It is not subtle, and it is immediately noticeable.
So, I am curious to know how many of you out there have tried this, and what your experience has been.
Thanks, John  
128x128roxy54

Showing 4 responses by tobor007

So I wanted to stop just putting my 2 cents in and ask someone that knows more than me to weigh in. I just sent Revel the following. 
Big discussion on the Audiogon blog concerning the best screws to attach a speaker driver to the cabinet. I purchased a pair of Salon 2's from an authorized dealer 2 years ago. I love them and wouldn't change a thing. Some are claiming brass screws are best because "the elasticity of the screw material can actually help the speaker basket to stop ringing against the baffle, helping to remove noise."  Do you have any information concerning the validity on this? Thank you, David
Perhaps this is new information to them and we will see brass screws on Revel speakers soon.

I read this discussion with great interest. So I just checked my Revel Salon 2's. Yep, little black screws! What a cheap way to finish off a pretty good speaker. 
“it improved the detail in ambient trails"
I usually just smoke another joint for the best ambient trails. Yea, I find it to be one of the best tweaks.
"It's just a tweak, and it works".
So speaker companies like B&W and Revel wanted to save money on screws or just just never heard of this little tweak that would make their 20K speakers sound better. I'm sure at the next R&D meeting someone will have to answer for this. Are you kidding?