Replacing current sub with another

I am in the process in replacing my current sub with something with better control, meaning tuning and integrating. My option would been a SVS SB-1000 pro. Keep in mind I have a very small room and really the Vandersteen 2ci are more then enough for the need of any music. I have a sub not for output but for quality and and response. I have the tools to tune and integrate the sub with the 2ci so that is not a factor. I currently have the HSU STF-2 and is a great sub but it only has the basic controls so I am limited.

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

@audioconnection , you took the words out of my mouth.

@highend64 ,

The limitations are that there are certain frequencies that get attenuated too much, despite careful setup. The result being that one setting will sound great with Classical, but become boomy with Pop and Rock. Using the Vandy sub has never shown this behaviour.

Another benefit of Vandersteen subs is that they are built like tanks. 2W's are still working despite being nearly 30 years old, the 2wq's are a bit younger, and I expect they will last just as long. Hsu and SVS are good subs, but I don't think they will age as well.

I still think you should join the Vandy forum and get some more ideas or at least explanations. Though we love our speakers, we will provide honest answers.

Bob

@gdnrbob I dont understand by what you mean certain frequencies get attenuated? I am assuming you are referring to room nodes.

Why is there no mention of REL Subs?  Their subs use a high level connection that IMHO have fantastic results.   I'd recommend 2.  The high level runs off your amplifier.   

@highend64 ,

What I meant is that despite my attempts to integrate them, I had certain frequencies that were booming (mostly 150 to 80 hertz) when I switched to 'Pop' music. With non-electronic music, things sounded well balanced, but if I switched, it ended up rattling the house.

I never had that issue with my Vandy 2w's or 2wq's.

FWIW, even Mr. V. agrees with having multiple subs, as a way to mitigate room nodes. Though, the Sub 3, with the integrated equalizer, minimizes that effect.

Mr. V. is a frugal Dutchman, he makes products that perform above their pricepoint.

And, if you look at how his subs operate, then you will see that though Vandy subs might cost more and require a high pass filter, you get a truly seamless integration with your speakers (and others, like Maggies), as well as letting your amp perform better. It is really quite an elegant solution, when you look at it.

bob