Replacement Motor for a Vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable

My son owns a vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable.  The platter is slipping on start-up an on play.  My son has isolated the problem to the motor.  Any suggestions on where to source a replacement motor?? Thanks
bifwynne

Showing 5 responses by bifwynne

My son has done enough checking to isolate the problem to the motor.  So I ask, is it possible to buy a new or rebuilt motor?  Or, are there any shops that can rebuild the motor?

If not, I surmise that the TT is scrap. 

The belt is OK. 
Thanks guys.  

Dekay, ... large cap. uuuhm.  That could be a possibility.  If the cap jump starts the motor, that could be the culprit. My son says that the problem occurs on start up.  He told me that he has to give the platter a push to get it started. 

Let me get more detailed info and I will post it.  Replacing a spent cap is a much better ... and cheaper ... solution than replacing the motor.

Thanks

BIF    
Thanks to all for the comments and helpful suggestions.  I passed everything to my son.  He told me that he is taking the Thorens to a local electronics repair shop and told the shop to check all the caps that can be seen, especially the jump start cap.

I'll report back as soon as my son hears from the shop.         
I would like to thank everybody again for their helpful comments. 

So, ... as I mentioned above, my son took his TT to the local shop for a look-see.  He asked the shop to pay special attention to the big caps and other passives.  The shop reported back that the caps and other passives checked out ok.  The motor checked out ok too. 

The problem was far more pedestrian.  There is a little metal arm that adjusts the belt when changing platter speeds.  The shop said the metal arm was slightly bent and somehow affected the platter start-up.  Not seeing the TT or its innards, it is hard for me to visualize exactly what my son described.  But straightening the metal doo-hickey fixed the problem.

The shop put a tiny drop of oil into the motor and cleaned what needed to be cleaned.  Total cost:  $70. 

BIF
Thanks again.  So far, the fix seems to be working. 

I just bought my son an Ortofon 2M Bronze for his birthday, which I think will be good match for the Thorens TP 16 arm (7.5 grams effective mass) and his system. 

I checked the Vinyl Engine website and used the cartridge compliance tool.  The Ortofon 2M is a high-compliance cartridge that should mate well with the TP 16 tonearm.

I'll report back as soon as I mount the cartridge.   

BIF