Replacement for Maggie's?

So I have been thrilled with my magnepan 1.6's to the point that I have upgraded every component to the point that even the power conditioner costs more than the speakers. My question as the headline suggests is that where do I go from here for speakers? I love the Maggie sound for its wonderful depth, life like size, and soundstage. Dislike its lack of bass. The rest of my gear consists of Ayre C5xeMP, Ayre K5xe soon to be MP, Pass Labs X250, APC S15, Grover Huffman XLR's, Signal Cable bi wired speaker cables. Thanks
harri009

Showing 6 responses by josh358

Agree with Elizabeth and others that the 3.7 is the obvious choice. It does everything the 1.6 does but better. Or even the 20.7, if you can swing it.

Ejlif, what were you powering your 3.6's with? I've heard them play quite loud, certainly in the range of dynamics.

Usually, people who want more slam or extension in the bass add subs, or, increasingly, Magnepan's DWM woofer, which can be used to increase bass output in larger or "planar unfriendly" rooms without smearing the bass as a dynamic sub can.
Wow, that's a tall order. To get speakers that have a fair measure of the virtues of both planars and dynamics, you have to spend a lot of money, and typically deal with something that's very big, like the big Maggies, Apogees, or Sound Labs, or very heavy, like the big Magicos.

I'm thinking that you might take a look at dipole dynamics, like the highly regarded Linkwitz speakers, which are available in varying degrees of completion. They're reasonably sized and priced:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

I suppose a hybrid would also be a possibility, e.g., the hybrid Martin-Logans, but I'd want to listen first, not everyone is happy with the transition between the electrostatic tweeter and the dynamic woofer. The Sanders electrostatic/transmission line woofers are very highly regarded, but very directional.

You could also check out the GT Audio, which is a hybrid dynamic/planar/true ribbon system that sells for an amazingly low price. I don't know anyone who's heard them yet, but they received positive show reports:

http://www.gtaudioworks.com/

Then there's the Mini Maggie. It really does sound like a 3.7 on your desk. However, this is a near field monitor, best listened to from a few feet away. Essentially a single person speaker, but if that's all you need, it's an unmatchable bargain.

Finally, have you considered trading up to the 1.7's, and adding a pair of Maggie's little DWM woofers? The 1.7's are magnificent sounding speakers, and the DWM woofers will give you more slam on the low end, without muddying the bass as subs would (though you can always still use subs to fill out the bottom octave). The DWM's have been getting raves at CES, where they were paired with 3.7's:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/02/05/las-vegas-2013-magnepans-big-bass-boogie/
Harri, while I know people have had good results with forex the Rel subs, you might want to consider Magnepan's DWM woofer. It won't smear the sound like a dynamic sub because it's also a planar, and it's quite small. Magnepan showed it at CES with a couple of 3.7's and it got raves. Their new ad will give you an idea of how small it is, plus the kind of press its been getting:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=196349

Also, since it's small and easily shipped, they have a 30 day home trial so you can see if it works for you.

If you then want to extend the bass down to 20 hz, you can add dynamic subs but they will only be playing in the bottom octave so they're less likely to smear the midrange.
Way to go! And congratulations. As good as the smaller Maggies are, that true ribbon is on a different plane.
Jeff, I've no argument with Peter Gunn's craftsmanship and a lot of people speak highly of his work, but much of what he aays about the 1.7's on his site is manifestly untrue. I'm not talking about his opinion of their sound, though it's a minority opinion. Rather, I'm talking about a number of erroneous assertions, e.g., that the supertweeter is a marketing gimmick.