Replace my Wavac Valve pre- amp to partner Boulder 2160

Hi guys 

I currently use a Wavac pr-t1 valve pre amp to drive my Boulder 2160 power amp.

I adore this combination of power and seduction. However the Wavac only has one pair of balanced outputs, and i need two in order to feed my subwwofers with the balanced signal they prefer.

Can you offer any suggestions that you think i should consider?

I will keep the Wavac and build a second, all-Wavac system around it, likely driving Wolf Von Langa Chicago speakers. But that's for another day, once i have upgraded my Boulder 2160 to 3060.

I have tried: Boulder 2110 (awesome dynamics, frequently extension, less seductive than the Wavac), Vitus Masterpiece (detailed, tonally correct, but not musically satisfying), Trinnov Amethyst (not playing at the same levels as the others). On my radar: Vac, David Berning, Tenor, Robert Koda (ss i know).

Not on my radar- anything by Audio Research (impresdive in a whizz-bang style, but not musical like the others, good for an AV system ime), or Macintosh 

Other components: speakers Focal Stella Utopias, plus four Velodyne DD18+ subwoofers, phonostage Boulder 1008.

I prefer bass-driven electronica and the likes of Zero7 and Alt-j. I enjoy 'recreating the live (or rave) experience' at home and have no neighbours to disturb.

Thank you for your comments and insight 

Gav

128x128gavman

Gav

Two other brands that offer excellent preamps are Aries Cerat and Phasemation. I believe they are both available with balances outputs. I've heard our speakers in many system with all kinds of equipment and one of the best (definitely in the top 3) systems was all Phasemation electronics. I haven't heard a full Aries Cerat system but their components are quite good.

I find it interesting that you included the Trinnov Amethyst. The Amethyst is more of a one box solution for people who are looking for a DSP/Room Correction processor with a few preamp control functions. While it's a decent performer as a preamp it's not in the same league. In full disclosure, we sell Trinnov DSP/Room Correction processors with our speakers. For our most discerning customers we suggest using a ST2 HiFi in between their preamp and amplifiers.

You might consider keeping your Wavac preamps and using a Trinnov ST2 HiFi between the preamp and amp. This arrangement will give you an additional pair of balanced XLR outputs for your subwoofers and excellent bass management tools. Send a PM if you want more info and examples of this setup.

Mike