Replace Cambridge Audio D500 or add DAC?

I have $1000-$1500 to upgrade my system, and one of the components I'm considering to upgrade is my CD Player. Currently I have a Cambridge Audio D500, Audio Refinement Complete Amp, and Monitor Audio 5i speakers. I'm using Transparent Audio Music Link SuperXL RCA interconnect, Transparent Audio MusicWave speaker cables, and stock power cords. I'm looking for a little more detail, more airy sound, and better seperation/distinction between instruments. I'm wondering whether adding an upgraded power cord and the Cambridge Audio S700 DAC would give me these qualities, and would it give me approximately the same sound quality as a $1000-$1500 CD Player.

Thanks,
Gil
poor_airman

Showing 1 response by soix

The EVS Millennium DAC II may also be a good choice(read reviews on audioreview.com and a review of the previous DAC 1 on stereotimes.com as well as past posts on Audiogon). It's $1050 from www.tweakaudio.com and you can return it in 30 days if you don't absolutely love what it does for your system. My understanding is that the Cambridge will actually make a decent transport, so I'd go the DAC route and wait till the current format wars work themselves out, and you still may want to use this combo for redbook CDs. I've got an EVS DAC 1 and it's like the Roto Rooter man came in and did a number on my system--and the DAC II is supposed to be "way better," according to Ric at EVS. Tons of detail, huge soundstage with palpable space and air around and between performers, dead silent backdrop, and dynamics that will floor you. Brings every performance to life. Best audio purchase I've made. Best of luck.

Tim