Replace Cambridge Audio D500 or add DAC?

I have $1000-$1500 to upgrade my system, and one of the components I'm considering to upgrade is my CD Player. Currently I have a Cambridge Audio D500, Audio Refinement Complete Amp, and Monitor Audio 5i speakers. I'm using Transparent Audio Music Link SuperXL RCA interconnect, Transparent Audio MusicWave speaker cables, and stock power cords. I'm looking for a little more detail, more airy sound, and better seperation/distinction between instruments. I'm wondering whether adding an upgraded power cord and the Cambridge Audio S700 DAC would give me these qualities, and would it give me approximately the same sound quality as a $1000-$1500 CD Player.

Thanks,
Gil
poor_airman

Showing 2 responses by rgd

Sean - I am also interested in Natalie's source of info. My 333ES is in for mods and the only other Canadian that I know of that has either expressed a desire or stated that he is having his sacd player modded is Lorne Cherry (who has the new XA777) and his mods will be much more extensive than mine. While it is common knowledge that we "Canucks" are a quiet breed I can't see Canadian posters here who own sacd players not either discussing potential mods or canvassing opinions from those members here that have had the mods done on their gear such as I did. Can't remember seeing anything from a Canuck owner of a sacd player, other than Lorne...

So Natalie, whose modded unit have you listened to generate that statement????
Hey Cuz, the post was directed to one of the other posters who advised against getting any Sony modded or not. I too questioned this advice as I am sure that the poster had not heard a modded Sony given his geographical location and the lack of Canadian members who have sacd players much less those who own a modded version. To my knowledge there are none, modded units that is, here in Canada, mine (333ES)will be the first and Lorne Cherry's the second (XA777ES), neither of which has been touched by Richard Kern as of yet(awaiting parts from the UK).

So Cuz, Chellingsworth was not taking issue with your particular post about the Theta and I have no opinion on the "caps" issue.