Repair or Replace - Marantz CD63se

I have a Marantz CD63se that I paid $353 in 1996. Bad laser assembly, estimated at $210 to repair. I have no idea how CD players have evolved (or devolved)in the last 15 years or what $350 in the new/used market can get me today. Help! Should I repair this or buy new/used, like the CD6004?
esenecal
OK so I carry the one and take away the 6 , yep that's 16!
Either way at 16yrs the Marantz has provided more than your initial investment. I'd go new and never look back.
I'm with Zd542 in this, there are plenty of excellent CD players out there at reasonable prices and it makes sense to have one both to play the CDs you have and to rip discs to a hard drive if you decide to go that way.

Also agree with him about hard drives. It's absolutely true that hard drives always fail, often in less than six years, but having a cabinet full of CDs isn't failure proof, either. One of my friends had her entire collection of more 300 CDs taken by a burglar about six weeks ago. She had no backup and replacing that collection would cost thousands of dollars. The cost of the three hard drives it would have taken to store that collection and back it up to two different locations would have cost less than $200.

I have four copies of my music collection on hard drives. I back up once a week to a second drive on my desktop and alternate monthly backups on a drive in a fireproof/waterproof chest in my basement and another that lives in a locked filing cabinet in my office. With an incremental backup program, that represents about ten minutes effort on my part every week.
Thanks folks. I was certainly of the mind to just move on, but needed some encouragement! Got it. Small budget here so I'll probably go with the Marantz 5004 or maybe Rotel or Rega. We'll see. Not really in the market for ripping. I have many of them ripped to itunes already, but I don't want to lug my computer around or spend all the time ripping and getting into more equipment, though I appreciate the suggestion Johnny. I've got two kids under 2 and hardly have enough time to sit down and just listen to what I have! Guess I'll tell the shop to keep it for parts rather than pay the return shipping. Goodbye old 63SE...
Hi Zd - Understand your point. But it was just lousy luck on my part as both drives crashed within days of each other. My iMac is a version 2.4, considered vintage no less, is no longer supported by Apple, and does not sync with the Cloud and blah, blah, blah. So in reality I was spending a lot of time dicking around with data.

I was researching external drives and was about to pull the trigger on a replacement, when Apple announced the new iMacs about two weeks ago. So, I figured ... what the hey, I can wait a few weeks to buy a new computer and transfer the files over. My current iMac died the following evening.

It is what it is.

Rich
Hi Sfar - Sorry to hear about your friend. With almost 5000 cds, I can't imagine downloading them onto hard drives. No inclination whatsoever and besides I like having the physical media.

The point I was getting at was simple, if you like cds and think that obsolescence is around the corner, pick-up a couple of cd players. It is not much different that your multiple back-up strategy ... if number one fails, you have a number two or three or four.

Rich