Relationship between Ethernet Switch and SQ

This one will probably invite some withering mockery, but I will ask....

I only stream, and my streamer (Bryston BDP) is fed with an ethernet cable that runs back to my router.  Literally back to my router; there are enough output jacks on the router that I have a long run to the streamer and no ethernet switch in the chain (or the house system for that matter).   (There is an Eno filter right before the streamer).

I happen to OWN a nice LHY ethernet switch.  I am assuming that there is no reason to use it in this configuration, that is, assuming there are noisier switches, and less noisy switches, there is still no net benefit of adding any switch to this chain.  But maybe, just maybe, in the metaphysics of electrons that I do not understand, there is some reason why a nice switch prior to the streamer accomplishes something (in theory...I get that I can A/B test and try to fool myself whether I can hear a difference).  For the first person with a correct answer, I will mail a nice $600 switch to the address you specify! (JK)

mathiasmingus

Showing 2 responses by deep_333

Let us begin your rehabilitation Freddy. After you get rehabilitated, go back to your Sith lord Majidimehr on the ASR mothership and serve as the rehabilitated, repurposed, audiogon Trojan warrior.

But, watch this (all pinned timestamps, live blind tests, etc) and let your mind start polka dancing first. This is step 1 of your rehabilitation.

https://www.youtube.com/live/8HNMMksiD_Q?si=leRtfRhKfpQTjfMS

4 hour video about two guys listening to music seems pretty useless, however, I did watch the section "some sort of conclusion" where the guy on the left says that the LHY and PURA "audiophile switches" sounds worse than the baseline, based on the timing and rhythm, so there is that.

Some switches are worse, some switches are better...point is Freddy, differences can be perceived. I don’t fing know why such seemingly miniscule hardware changes in ethernet infrastructure are able to be perceived clearly during listening tests..

I’ve passed blind tests 20/20 times (statistically significant) when a couple of switches have been swapped on my rig. That’s where the Devry graduate IT guy’s "science" ends...i.e., when guys start passing blind tests enough times for it to be statistically significant.