Rega P5 line level low output...

Hi all.

I have a Rega P5 with Exact II cartridge. I have previously been running it into the phono input of my Denon AVR4806CI-MKII. From the beginning, I've noticed that I'm having to pay the records at significantly higher volume compared to any other input on the receiver.

A friend who has the Rega moving magnet preamp lent it to me, and while I can detect huge improvements in the sound quality, the input level is exactly the same.

That is: the receiver maxes out at 0dB volume. Below that, volume is represented in negative dB. Normally, I wind up within a range of -15 to -12 dB for other sources. The records, however, are always playing so softly that -6 dB is about the minimum playing level. And sometimes, I'm having to turn it up to max. That can't be good.

I have ordered a Bellari VP530 phono preamp and replaced its stock tube with a much better one. But they've not arrived yet.

And I'm using a different non-phono input with the Rega preamp. Don't really want to double up on the RIAA eq.

What I'm wondering is--is this sort of thing typical?

What can I do to increase the line-level input? Is it a cartridge thing? I'd rather not have ANOTHER piece of gear in the system.....

Thanks for any advice.

Marty

PS--Yes, I'm trying to do home theater and high-end analog at the same time. It's not an ideal situation. But the preamp signal from the Denon is running to a BAT VK-200 which drives my front two channels.
mpriola
Post removed 
The Exact 2 actually has one of the higher outputs you'll find out there. Other cartridges put out even less output than the Rega.
Post removed