Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01

Showing 21 responses by noromance

So, it appears that Chris did use the Allnic 1201 when it was a current model but is now a dealer for Modwright. 
@cd318 Considering many recordings from that period blow away 2019 ones, it's not that improbable!
Do NOT buy from SkyFi. Their mark-up is huge.
AudioGrail 401 $2200
Jim Campbell slate plinth $800
AudioSilente idler (AG may already fit one) $110
SPH bearing $250
PAC platter $750
Jelco 12" 850 tonearm $900 from George Merrill.
Consider what you’ll mount it on. It’s important.
This will cost you $5k.
See here.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1593
You might want to reach out to the 401 refurbisher to check upcoming stock. I've a feeling SKiFi and others like them are buying up supplies. 
LP13? No. But I ran an LP12/Ittok/Valhalla/base cover removed for years. I have done side by side comparisons with my original unmodified 401 in the birch-ply/walnut plinth.
The LP12 had somewhat more inner detail and nuance which I liked. However compared to the timing, dynamics, soundstage stability, ability to follow individual instruments, and most of all, the clarity of vocals, the 401 was in a different league. The Linn sounded good but colored and anemic in comparison. The Garrard just sounded correct, like live music -the Linn like the best radio you ever heard. My current 401s are substantially better than the old one so I’m going to infer way ahead of the older LP12. In fairness, the new LP12 has apparently come a long way. If you can audition and like what you hear, then go for it.
@ndevamp The SPH bearing brought W&F down from 0.14% to 0.06% using a mobile app per its manufacturer. My 401 pitch control is dead center.
@gunners01 I may be repeating myself. If you do go for the Garrard, make sure your plinth can accommodate a 12" arm. 
You stand at a crossroads. Take the Thorens route and settle for a decent machine with the average Vincent phono. But you won't ever upgrade without losing big money. Take the Garrard route and you have a platform that will support top arms and cartridges. So, compromise on price and quality and have an okay rig or take the leap into the higher strata that will last a lifetime.
By the way, have you rolled the PHO tube?
@gunners01 If you decide on the 401, maybe run what you are getting and for how much by us first. Not sure what Woodsong do to restore one but I do know AudioGrail tears down the table to pieces and cleans, replaces rubbers amd springs and bushings, and strips the poisonous cadmiun from the linkages.
Can you reach out to Jim Campbell? He's a lot cheaper. My 1/2" solid walnut topped and maple birch ply cost $800.
If buying an unrefurbished 401, try get one with the flat strobe window. It's earlier and by all accounts better built. Not a big deal if refurbished.
Don’t be afraid to buy from the UK. Check to see if they can expedite shipping if you want. Lots more available there and always cheaper than US. Did you check in with Matt Taylor of AudioGrail?
@cd318 Indeed. I had a LP12 for years. Thought it was awesome until I tried the 401. I lived through the whole Linn/Naim era. Luckily Glenn Croft and my love of tubes rescued me from going that moneypit route.
Thanks. Good info. I'd strongly recommend changing the idler. AudioSilente have one for around $120 and Artisan Fidelity $400. 
Well, you're bypassing the phono stage, so you're just using the line stage. It's the third tube from the left.