Rega Apollo vs. Cambridge Audio Azur 840c

Seems like the new Cambridge Audio Azur 840c is the new kid on the block.

I'd like to here your feedback on these 2 highly rated cdps. Has anyone made comparisons?
128x128mjcmt
Hello,
They are both outsatnding CD players and they both sound great.
I personally prefer the 840c, plus it has balanced outputs.
The Apollo has a warmer, alittle richer, and slightly more laid-back presentation. The Apollo does have a slightly wider soundstage.
The Cambridge is alittle more open, detailed, and dynamic than the Apollo, clearer on vocals, and has alittle better top-end extension, but not a huge difference.
The Apollo can become rather "slashy" in the treble with harsher recorded CD's, and the 840c does not.
They both require 200 + hours of burn-in to sound their best.
There is still not a huge difference between the two.
I prefer the front loading of the 840c, as opposed to the top loading Apollo.
Hope this helps alittle.
Nice mini review on the 2 cdp's. Thanks for you insights.

I think I would prefer the 840 for the same reasons you stated. I love absolute vocal clarity and outstanding dynamics. I have had the laid back sound before and I eventually tire of it, but I don't like a forward sound either.

Did you buy the 840, as it is not listed in your system?

Incidentally, have you heard the Cambridge dvd player too?
I just bought the 840c a couple of weeks ago.
Over the last 3 months I have owned the Onkyo DX-7555, Marantz CD5001, Marantz SA8001, Rega Apollo, Rega Saturn, but have sold all of them.
I prefer the 840c to any of them.
I just have not got around to updating my system [lazy I guess]!
I have not heard any other Cambridge players.
I just bought the 840C a few days ago...it is at about 75 hours of running time thus far. My 'reference' CDP is the Jolida 100 with a level II modification. In my A-B comparisions so far, I'd say the 840C has a titch more detail, though the more analog smoothness of the Jolida impresses me as easier to listen to over an extended period of time. I've been using the Audience AU-24 ICs for comparing, though my IC of choice is the Acoustic Zen Ref Mattrix II. Plenty of options to tweak going forward. I have had an Apollo in for trial one weekend...and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Jolida, though I prefer the Jolida because of front loading, (perceived) build quality and a damn good headphone jack built in. Hope this helps.
75 hours on the cambridge is nonsense - it is sacriligous -

the player enters another realm at the 200 hour mark and gets better and better from there. You'll see

regards
smargo
Smargo: Looking forward to that mark...you think 200 hours is the rite of passage for this model?
yes - basically - I mean im sure each player is a little different - this unit requires patience, patience and more patience - and i hate saying that because i think break-in should be immediately when you get it home, especially if you have a couple of days audition.

This is one of the few components that actually does sound better with break-in, ive had plenty that im still waiting to break in from 2 years ago.

I do think components are very over-rated in this hobby - this unit belies the all b.s. - it's nice once in a while to have a piece of gear really turn you on.

keep going

smargo
I'm getting a little ways off the thread so foregive me for this brief diversion. Smargo: What's your take on the dither function on the 840C? I'm relatively new to this hobby, and I think I understand the 'trade off" between to dither (more detail) vs. not to dither (blacker background.) I'm hesitant try it at this point...until it is more or less broken in. Any one with experience with his or her dither is welcome to chime in.
i haven't tried it at all - i only have experience with other players (sony) that had dither stuff in the past - To me it's all part of the b.s.

But you could try it and report back to us and let us know if its worth it, if you want to.

thanks
smargo
Mdrummer01 - regarding dither... here is a quote from the 840c manual:

"The 840C is able to add what is called Triangular Probability Density Function dither to the upsampled Digital Output signals. Normally, dither will have already been added to any CD or source material during its mastering process so the default for this option is off. However if a source with no dither is used (perhaps an off board A/D converter etc) TPDF dither can be turned on."
Has anyone else have had comparisons that feel the Cambridge is a better player than the Apollo?

Daltonlanny,

Thanks for your feedback comparing the 840C to other highly rated cdp's.

I what ways has the 840c impressed you more than the Apollo and Saturn? That is an impressive statement that I'm interested in knowing your take on it.
I'm not familiar with the Rega players but I can say that the 840c has a top end to die for. There is extension, harmonic decay and detail retrieval that is highly engaging and contributes to an awareness of venue.

I've spent a good bit of time comparing it to my Wadia 830 CDP over the last week. I will say that the Wadia seems better in terms of blackness between voices and instruments which tends to render these with perhaps more dimension and depth than the 840c.

Mike