Reference DACS: An overall perspective

There has been many threads the last few months regarding the sonic signature of some of the highest regarded reference DACS (Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) here on the GON. I have been very fortunate to audtion many of these wonderful pieces in my home or friend's systems. I wanted to share, in a systematic way, my impressions/opinions with you GON members for a two reasons: 1)That my experiences might be helpful to fellow members interested in audtioning these DACS. 2)Starting an interesting discussion regarding the different "sonic flavors" of these reference digital front ends. I totally agree with the statement, "if you have not heard it you don't have an opinion". Therefore, I have no comments regarding DACS from Weiss,Goldmund,Audio Aero and Burmester because I have never had the pleasure of audtioning them. I would love to hear from members who have and share their experiences with us. My overall impression is that these DACS(Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) can be grouped into two molar categories regarding their overall sonic signature. By the way, all of them can throw a large/deep soundstage with excellent layering in the acoustic space with "air" around individual players on that stage. However, than they start to part company into two major categories. Category #1) These DACS "flavors" revolve around pristine clarity, fine sharp details,speed,very extended top/bottom frequencies,and great PRAT. These DACS never sound "etched" or "in your face" but are more "upfront" then "layed back" in their presentation. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Dcs,Ensemble,Meitner. My personnal favorite in this group is the Ensemble, which I owned for two years. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic" sense, natural timbres,and an easy flowing liquidity. Their "less forward" presentation my give the impression of less detail, but I think in this case its an illusion fostered by their more relaxed/organic manner. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts. I did find that the tube DACS did not have the top/bottom frequency extenstion and PRAT of the SS DACS in this bracket. For me, the Accustic Arts DAC1-MK3 gave me the best of both categories, therefore it is now the resident DAC in my system. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Magnepan,Von Schweikert,Sonus Faber. Well, it's all just my opinion regarding these digital pieces, but I hope this post was at least informative/somewhat interesting and would lend itself to other GON members sharing their impressions, not about what DAC is the "BEST" in the world, but your personnal taste and synergy with your system.
teajay

Hi Teajay,

I agree it most defiantly is oaky to agree to disagree but that being said from reading your responce you just haven't heard a proper vinyl set-up just like when you hear different digital set-ups.

You are invited any time to come for a listen. Living with my RED-BOOK as long as I did and directly comparing the best cd recordings I have along with comparing duplicate recording that I also have on vinyl I'm sory but there were really no comparisons sonic wise in the end, vinyl prevailing.

The set-ups you referred to being $15-$20k, I'm not sugesting money means anything but you know your RED-BOOK pces are far from being cheap, just alone the 1621a list for over $26K. My REED arm and MSL cart fall into that category alone with what you heard cost wise, when I owned the AC3 which lists for $18K it surpased my red-book set-up.

When listening to my red-book cd collection I find that there are more lessor quality recordings than top notch amazing sounding ones, now compare that to my present LP collection and it's not even close, I currently have very few records that I would say are not amazing sounding.

My set-up, the way I have it is just set and forget it, no fussing around unless I'm doing comparisions and that's how I like it. I'm not a fanatic wanting to fuss with this and that, I just clean my records once from receipt and then all I do is one quick swipe using my brush prior to actually playing, pretty simple and compares to removing and replacing the puck in the 1621.

Surface noise, yes I do have some of this on some recordings but that greatly depends on the actual recording and usually if it's there only present in between tracks so really not a biggy and once the music comes on such is gone and oh my it's just time to listen to some great tunes. Magic, all I can say is WOW! and more WOW! with my set-up but in the end as we both know it's all personal.

You have over 400 records you just keep giving away, damn I'll take all of them off your hands, sure would assist in my collection.

I have just started so I'm sure you likely have some awesome pces, let me know how we can work this out. PM me or give me a call.

It's all about the music in the end so as long as you are able to listen enjoy no matter what your poison may be that's all that really matters.

Teajay, while this topic has run it's course, it helped me arrive at a sound that surpasses my wildest expectations. I have heard a wide number of Audio Note systems. My own system's DACs have been Audio Note for years.

I did not care for the Audio Note transports. I heard spacial distortion that displeased me. I used PSA Lambda successfully for a couple years. The combination was very good. It was not the last word on detail, or frequency extension, as, you pointed out.

For my DAC, I stuck with my Audio Note while adding cutting edge diodes. these diodes pass on the full array of digital information, hidden by the usual AN diodes. I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, anyway, I had the pleasure of finding the 47 Lab site. Just reading their philosophy, I became a devoted advocate for their transports. The 47 lab DAC, in conjunction with their transport, was lovely, true toned, an is the ultimate in musicality IMO.

On the other hand, the 47 Lab transport used with my Audio Note * it became a musical event producing a sound I had not dreamed possible. It gives full expression including PRAT, ultimate extension, decay to black, alarming dynamics, and a spritely micro-dynamic play that is most satisfying in piano solos.

bugles squeal, violins sweetly sear, cymbals crash, clang, and ring, Giant drum skins hit have that soft whack, a quick ripple crack, then a deep chested boom.

Singers are presented forward and are so lovingly living. The tiniest inflection can be heard, but never does detail trump realism. The highs are exquisitely fine. Bass is fully expressed, remaining a musical part of a musical whole in harmony.

It goes one important step further, though. The music as a wonderful flow. Harmonies, positional seating, roll off in a way only the best Vinyl systems can approach.

My system eschews all oversampling, upsampling, and filters. They all sound contrived on my system. I have not heard some of the highest brands you love. I would like to give them a try, though I hold little hope for them.

I have found every components must be designed to do the least amount of harm to the music signal. Every time the signal is switched, filtered, made to jump hoops, the more the signal looses bits and pieces.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=423

The world’s first DAC to feature a 32bit/384kHz conversion technique, the DAC I-MK3 utilizes an Accustic Arts exclusive: an 8-times oversampling, 119dB dynamic, premium quality parallel multiplier with 32-bit accumulator that boosts incoming, 16-bit signal beyond 24-bit, to 32-bit resolution before conversion.

Each statement - pure joy!
Hahaha, an 8-times oversampling...
Very warm analogue sound.
Hi Rokka,

I had the AA DAC-1MK3 and wrote a review of it here on the GON. It was quite good, however, it is not as musical and as natural sounding as the AA Tube Hybrid reference DAC that still is my reference in my system.
Muralman1, "Every time the signal is switched, filtered, made to jump hoops, the more the signal looses bits and pieces." Very interesting comment comming from you, after you have so frequently posted so many positive comments re: your prefered switching amplifier.