Reference DACS: An overall perspective

There has been many threads the last few months regarding the sonic signature of some of the highest regarded reference DACS (Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) here on the GON. I have been very fortunate to audtion many of these wonderful pieces in my home or friend's systems. I wanted to share, in a systematic way, my impressions/opinions with you GON members for a two reasons: 1)That my experiences might be helpful to fellow members interested in audtioning these DACS. 2)Starting an interesting discussion regarding the different "sonic flavors" of these reference digital front ends. I totally agree with the statement, "if you have not heard it you don't have an opinion". Therefore, I have no comments regarding DACS from Weiss,Goldmund,Audio Aero and Burmester because I have never had the pleasure of audtioning them. I would love to hear from members who have and share their experiences with us. My overall impression is that these DACS(Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) can be grouped into two molar categories regarding their overall sonic signature. By the way, all of them can throw a large/deep soundstage with excellent layering in the acoustic space with "air" around individual players on that stage. However, than they start to part company into two major categories. Category #1) These DACS "flavors" revolve around pristine clarity, fine sharp details,speed,very extended top/bottom frequencies,and great PRAT. These DACS never sound "etched" or "in your face" but are more "upfront" then "layed back" in their presentation. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Dcs,Ensemble,Meitner. My personnal favorite in this group is the Ensemble, which I owned for two years. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic" sense, natural timbres,and an easy flowing liquidity. Their "less forward" presentation my give the impression of less detail, but I think in this case its an illusion fostered by their more relaxed/organic manner. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts. I did find that the tube DACS did not have the top/bottom frequency extenstion and PRAT of the SS DACS in this bracket. For me, the Accustic Arts DAC1-MK3 gave me the best of both categories, therefore it is now the resident DAC in my system. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Magnepan,Von Schweikert,Sonus Faber. Well, it's all just my opinion regarding these digital pieces, but I hope this post was at least informative/somewhat interesting and would lend itself to other GON members sharing their impressions, not about what DAC is the "BEST" in the world, but your personnal taste and synergy with your system.
teajay
Rene,

regarding difference between 01 and 03 combos my idea is that gain in performance is not that big if you go for MC 01 setup. But, price difference is huge...

For two channel playback(RBCD/SACD) 01 combo is better IMHO.
For your setup little bit warmer sounding 03 combo is actually better choice IMO. Specially if you decide to try(or even buy) Jorma Prime ICs and speaker cables. This cables, although excellent IMHO are not the warmest cables in business...
In my system N0.1 I like 01 combo more then 03... But, honestly difference is not that big...

I also heard from reliable source that there is NO difference in RBCD and SACD playback between P-03 and P-03Universal. Great thing that you confirmed this results!

And when we are talking about favorites, here are mine:
#1 flavor
-Accustic Arts DAC1Mk4/Drive1Mk2(#1.2)
-Esoteric D-01/P-01/G-0s(#1.2)
-Esoteric D-03/P-03/G-0s(#1.5)
-Esoteric X-01LTD(#1.1)
-Krell Evolution 505(#1.6)
-Orpheus Lab Heritage/Zero D(#1.5)
-Weiss Medea/Jason(#1.4)

#2 flavor
-Audio Research Reference CD7(#2.1)
-Metronome C-2A Sig/Kallista Reference(#2.1)

Also reccommended are Accustic Arts Player1Mk2, Ayre C-5xe and all Metronome players...
I am not(sorry!) big fan of either EMMLabs or Zanden...
Osgorth & Branimir, JormaDesign Prime is what I will listen at within 1 or 2 months as soon as my contact over here (W-Europe) receive his ordered cable set. He is also the distributor of my VTLs and we are quite close (he better be, ha ha).

Anyway I know that making such a huge system cable choice is a delicate job and I will take my time for that (saving coins in the mean time). So, it is not a matter now of questions in general (I really don’t what to hear al kind of ‘intellectual’ stories), I actually want to decide on what I experience with my ears.

Nevertheless, with the gear I have I’m not afraid to use sensitive cables that will show all what is in the system… I hope they do just that! If it will be the J/D Prime, Nordost Valhalla, Stealth topline, a.s.o., time will tell.

I only don’t like the magic box cables from Transparent or MIT. I ones exchanged an expensive Transparent Ref XL for someone’s self made but excellent sounding speakercable. But to be honest, other people I know really rave about the new MIT Oracle v1.1 MA and likewise also J/D uses a Bybee ‘black box’ in their cable. Conclusion for now? I'm open for everything as long as I can increase soundwise the quality level of the whole.
Branimir, this morning I received at my surprise an important email from Esoteric Tokyo that a combo from P-01 with D-03s connected via ES-LINK is indeed possible. Great news!!!

All the benefits of the higher quality level -or as you wish my preferred sound- with ES-LINK compared to the alternative i-LINK (firewire). And that for all 6 channels!

Herewith also best HDDVD or BR 24/192 playback possible!

Other major benefit is that the D-03 (and not the D-01) can handle SACD signals not converted from DSD to PCM. But the otherway around is possible, PCM can be up-converted to DSD. And that for all 6 channels!

So, I am more than interested in P-01 / 3x D-03 / G-0s… and sure, it will cost me 6 extra AES cables (ES-LINK) but I achieve the utmost this way! Maybe too in the #1-#2 mixer … Anyway, me happy! :-)
Two weeks ago I had the chance to audition, in this case not a home audition but in a salon's very high end system, the Gryphon Mikado CDP.

I had read a few very postive reviews on this player, even though nobody on this thread had ever mentioned this player at all. Well, to say the least, it did not float my sonic boat at all. The Mikado offered alot of details,speed, and dynamics, but I found to be to much "in your face" and not very musical at all. I think what some listeners wuold describe as "lean" sounding.

Has anybody heard any other new digital front ends or cdps that you thought were interesting lately? Branimir, have listened to the new Esoteric pieces or other possible contenders? It would be great to hear from you guys if anything new digital has caught your fancy so far in 07.

No Slouch I was wondering if you bought the Bluenote? I also was wondering if anyone else had heard the Bluenote Stibbert?
Teajay, thanks for starting an amazing thread. I would love to hear your Accustic Arts dac and transport some day seeing that I am another Chicagoan. Go Bears! Bob