REF3 with VS115

Hi folks
I wanted to buy a ARC LS 26 and a VS 115. I heard the combination and it sounded really good.
However, I got the opportunity to buy a second hand REF3 (first owner, less than 1 year old) for less money than the LS 26 (new).
Now I wonder if the REF3 is too much for the VS 115?
Am I in for a disappointment due to a mismatch or should I grasp the opportunity?
Thanks for your insights.
Jan
jotra
Hi Chucktone.
Could you please elaborate on the problem with the VS115? Was it in any way related to the REF3?
The 115, after approximately 150 hours of use, suffered a fairly catastrophic failure. A capacitor, or perhaps a resistor (it has been a while since high school physics), became overheated and flamed out rather dramatically. I returned the unit to ARC, via my local dealer.

It took quite a while, several weeks, for ARC to ultimately resolve the issue to my satisfaction. They sent me a new unit, which had the suspect part (and its boardmates) mounted much higher off the board, thereby hopefully solving the overheating problem. I've only run the new unit for a few hours, without any problems.

At no point did anyone indicate that the problem might have been related to the Ref 3 or any other components. I also have a CD-7 so obviously I am a fan of ARC products. As for the VS 115 I hope to get many years of good performance though I am inclined to look at a REF 110/210 or something else should any other problems occur.

My local dealer was very helpful and understanding throughout the process.
Hi Chucktone
I hope I am not inconveniencing you if I ask you some more about your amps.
Yesterday I got the opportunity to listen to the REF3 in my own home. It is a awesome amp. I can use it for another day and a half.
The only doubt I have is the enormous bass energy. I have very energetic speakers in the bass region and the REF3 does nothing to diminish that.
Dave Mitchell wrote in this forum that the VS115 also has quite some bass energy.
So I wonder if the REF3/VS115 combination has a tendency to throw the bass in your face.
What are your findings?
Thank you for your insights.
Jotra
On the back of the amp try other speaker taps 4 ohm 8 ohm Etc also moving your speakers around try first either 6 to 8 inches forward or backwards you could be just agitating a room node.
one or both should do the trick
Cheers Johnnyr
Audio Research REF preamps have big bass.
REF3 supposedly addressed the sort of fat, sometimes overripe bass of previous REF1 and REF2 models but it should still have some serious slam in the lower register. Which is good. In some systems. If your speakers already do that, it may become too much of a good thing when you add electronics that emphasize the bass as well.

Try changing speaker placement. You CAN reduce bass with cables, etc. But you need to find out first if the bass you are getting is bad, or is it just something you need to get used to for few days and you won't be able to return to how how your system sounded before.

Keep us posted.