Red Dragon's new S500 Class D Amp

I know Class D amps are not held in high regard here. But I would really like to hear some opinions of the published specifications of this new amp. Red Dragon offers a 45 day trial period and I am tempted. The specs look quite impressive. If anyone has actually listened to it that would be even better.

The internals of this amp are the S-Pro2 from Pascal, a Danish company. The detailed audio specs can be found here in PDF form under the Product Flyer column. [url]http://pascal-audio.com/amplifier-modules.html[url]

The link to the Red Dragon product page is here: [url]http://www.reddragonaudio.com/collections/amplifiers/products/s500[url]

Really would appreciate some opinions even if just based on the specs.
128x1281extreme

Showing 3 responses by 1extreme

My current speakers are Infinity Kappa 8's.
I am powering them with an Adcom GFA-565SE (250w @ 8ohms)
I have a DAC / Preamp combined in an Emotiva Stealth DC-1.
All my source is streaming.

I also would like to introduce a tube preamp into the chain. My interest in the S500 was to see if it out performed the Adcom and if so I would replace the Adcom. OR if the amps are compatible I would bi-amp them horizontally, but the gain of the Adcom is 27dB while the gain of the S500 is 26dB. Also, S500 has higher output at 4ohms and 2ohms than the Adcom.
Since my last post on this I acquired a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's. The Kappa 9's require lots of current from amps capable of delivering high current into very low impedance as it has an impedance curve that drops below 1 ohms resistance at two frequencies and stays near or below 3 ohms much of the curve.

My Kappa 8's also are low impedance speakers but not as hard to drive as the K9's. My Adcom does an ok job with the K8's but the K9's are too much speaker for it alone. Both speakers are reported to do much better bi-amped and this is my eventual target configuration for both.

At some point I will purchase a high current class A amp for the K9’s to use bi-amped on the high end. The S500 may fit into this plan as I could use it on the low end bi-amped on either the k8 or k9, which ever sounds best. Or the Adcom’s on the low end and s500 up top. I plan on keeping both K8's and K9's long term.

The S500 is rated at 250w/8ohms, 500w/4ohms, 750w/2.7ohms and is reported as "stable" at 2ohms. Those are specs you normally don't see unless you are looking at a Class A amp. But specs are one thing and real life sound is another.

My AdCom is rated at 250w/8ohms, 350w/4ohms with no measurements reported below 4ohms.

I know you are probably thinking “why doesn’t this guy just order an S500 and try it for the 45 day trail” and that is what I will likely do but I don’t take returning amps lightly and wanted to hear some feedback if my direction / plans seem sound?
Mechans - "I tend to think of power as high current power, I am not sure if the new amp modules fill that general requirement." I agree with your power is high current premise and have to keep repeating to myself that "it's not the watts it's the current". Still old ways of thinking are hard to break and I still am wowed when I see phenomenal high watt ratings on Class D amps like the D-Sonic M3-1500M. And I am also not sure if the new Class D modules provide sustained high current.

Honestly I am not really sure what amp spec one can look at to determine if it is a higher current amp. I think if an amp "doubles down" at each watt/ohm rating form 8 to 4 to 2 that is a good sign but does that also hold true for Class D amps. I don't know.