Records not stored vertically for decades

I’m looking to eventually get my vinyl rig back up n running and went to get my albums and found they’ve been lying flat probably for decades in two stacks of about 75 albums in each stack.  Any chance they’re still in good shape, or what damage may have been done versus being stored vertically?  They’ve been in a dry, temperature-controlled basement the whole time.  No way to play them right now so just hoping they might still be ok.  Thanks for thoughts.

soix

@lewm

You asked, "Where do you get your “rules of warping”?"

Thank you for asking.

I got those rules from verified facts and sound logic. The verified facts were gathered from extensive research I engaged in order to understand my 55 years of anecdtotal experience with warps in my own records added to the experiences of other record collectors posted on the internet.

The sound logic cmes from my undeclared minor in formal logic when I earned my bachelors degree in business administration, passing all of my science and math courses with nary an error.

Assuming you have your own "rules for warping", how do they differ from mine?

Thank you.

I am trying to figure it out how horizontal records storage causes warping. If anything it ought to flatten them. I could be wrong, I have been wrong before.

The only way to find out is by playing the albums.Heat and Humidity, the way records are stored are the big killers.Moldy record covers and moldy on the vinyl another...warping  from storing them horizontally can happen. You want to play them to checkout the sound.They can be cleaned my hand ,brush,cleaning fluid.A  car can look great but until you drive it who knows.

@knock1

Yours is a valid concern. And if you don’t mind, I’ll respond with verified facts and sound logic.

The interiors of functional record storage compartments must be wide enough to accommodate album sets in larger than normal jackets and to ease removal for playback and replacement afterward. So most of them are at least 13" wide. When records are stored on a horizontal surface that wide, ½" of their edges can be misaligned with the record beneath it in a stack. This leaves that edge of the record devoid of pressure. The air temperatures very close to home heating sources can approach 120 degrees Fahrenheit. And a brief exposure to temperatures that high can deform the unsupported edge. Subsequent cooling sets the deformity, creating an edge warp. And repeated heating/cooling cycles increases the edge warp.

Unfortunately, few edge warps can be repaired.

Recordguardian, I was wondering whether there was any scientific basis for the 70 degree F cutoff point. That seems low , plus I would think humidity plus temperature together are the determinants. Therefore the temp cutoff would vary with ambient moisture. Furthermore while it seems inescapable logic to say that storage at an angle promotes warping, one also notices (during my own 50 years) that sometimes warps appear for no logical reason, even in LPs stored vertically in tight rows, and even free of charge in brand new LPs.