Reconciling analog and digital playback

My catalyst for posting is the recent upgrades I made to my analog system: Micro Seiki / SME 3012 / Shelter 901. The changes were made last week, so I am still getting a handle on the nuances and subtleties, but there is a significant naturalness, ease and presence that really allows me to connect emotionally with the music. The problem is that now digital playback on the Sony DVP-S9000es is so lacking in soul, emotion and body compared to analog. I was satisfied until now, realizing that the Sony is good, not great. My digital sources are almost exclusively PCM CDs, not SACD.

I want to close the gap, so that I can enjoy my CDs again! The Sony is used for DVD video playback no more than 20% of the time. I have decided to either: 1) replace the Sony with a more contemporary universal player, or 2) add a nice DAC, either a Bidat or Lavry 924, using the Sony for transport and video duties.

Is anyone more experienced with digital playback, who can provide some guidance?
skushino
Unfortunately, you may just have to reconcile yourself to the fact that digital hasn't equalled analog yet. In the meantime, get what you can on vinyl and, when you have to, go digital. If you have $ to burn, you can spend 1000's on digital gear (which will depreciate quite rapidly - think computers...) that will sound mighty good - but it will still lack that 'naturalness and presence'. Some insurance against this can be had by buying a good transport and accepting that you'll be replacing your DAC every 5 years or so. The really sad part is that there really isn't much popular demand for better-sounding digital. The good news is that vinyl is alive and well and you don't have to buy $40 'audiophile' lps to get that sound!
Another option is to send your 9000ES to Modwright for its "Absolute Truth" tube mods, which run about $1300. I have not heard these but people speak very highly them.

If you want to another unit consider the Ayre CX-7 or Audio Aero Prima -- both in the $2000 range used.

You can pay more and get more, but nothing is likely to impress like your analogue rig.
A friend went digital front-end only, after decades of analog, with a Wadia straight into B&K amps with Revel speakers and is thrilled.
Consensus is the last thing I expected to encounter in this forum, but the verdict seems to be that the gap between analog and digital is fundamental and part of our landscape. Your input reinforced my feeling. Thanks to the more experienced digital 'philes for sharing your experience.

Just for an experiment, I decided to obtain the Lavry and see what a SOTA D/A can do in my modest system. It should arrive next week, and I'll post results. I realize the Sony and the Lavry are in very different leagues, and not a perfect match, but the Sony should be sufficient for this experiment. My hypothesis is that overall sonics will improve tremendously, but the more important and desirable musical attributes that analog delivers, will still be missing.

I hope that I am wrong...