Recommendations for speakers that sound great at lower volume levels.

I have a pair of Harbeth SHL5 Plus and they sound wonderful when I crank them up. But at moderate to low volume levels they sound disappointingly flat and unengaging - instruments are less palpable, bass has less bloom, and soundstage has less air and dimensionality. I drive my speakers with a tube integrated - a Line Magnetic 845 rated at 26 watts of power. My Harbeths are rated at 86db. Would a higher sensitivity speaker be helpful? Or how about a good quality small shoebox sized pair of speakers coupled with a subwoofer? Or not. What speakers are going to deliver music you can feel at low volume levels? What say all you wisened audiophiles?
128x128neptune123

Showing 10 responses by neptune123

Yogiboy - I've wondered about the P3 compared to SHL5. Can you offer more detail about the p3 and why it's your pick among Harbeths? Thanks.
Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses. I think I'll go with a more sensitive speaker. Perhaps the BBC monitor style and hook them up with my REL. Happy listening.
Interesting idea, buddyboy1!  At a couple of hundred dollars it's definitely worth a try.

On the other hand, higher efficiency speakers are probably the way to go at the end of the day. Yes, I wish I could afford the Devore's. What say you audiogoners about the Klipsch Cornwall IV? Not cheap, but half the price of the Devores and they're rated at 102 db.

Thanks, Stingray26. I feel as though you're speaking to what I'm looking for. And actually, lately I'm feeling that I way overspent on my equipment for incremental improvements that are quite impressive, but again, only at rather loud volumes. Indeed, my current system music is often thrilling and impactful, but it's not what I once remember as a warm, musical, forgiving, yet articulate sound. I'm going to check them out online right now. BTW, I had my eye on another KLH, the new model 5. Did you ever compare the Kendall to the 5?
Thanks, yakbob. I just did a bit of reading on the ZRock and it sounds like it could be my solution. They offer a 30 day trial but with a 10% restocking fee, should I return it. Definitely worth a try. I assume they'll work fine with an integrated amp. Thanks!
Thanks, Stingray26. I appreciate the effort and time you put into your response. I'll have to find out who in the North Carolina Triangle region sells KLH. I'm anxious to try them out. As I said earlier, I feel like the answer to my hifi dilemma is a high efficiency speaker (perhaps KLH or Klipsch) or a some kind of equalizer tone control, like Decware, 
I'm taking the advice that high efficiency is the way to go for low volume listening and for my particular amp, Line Magnetic 845ia. Does anyone have an opinion on Omega speakers? I'm reading about the Super Alinco towers. Important factor - will it provide enough bass. Your thoughts?
High efficiency is over 100db 1 watt 1-meter omega is not a high eff loudspeaker
That's interesting and worth considering. What do other people think?  You know, Omega speakers promote themselves as high efficiency and a good match with the LM 845ia. 
Thanks everyone. I've come to the conclusion that I need higher efficiency speakers or a tone control to interface with my amp. I'll let you what I do and find out.