Recommend digital source for opera & classical?

I'm planning a major upgrade to my system and I'm a bit confused since there are so many high end CD players out there these days.. I thought a good way to start would be to ask the pros: what would you recommend for someone who listens mainly to opera and classical music?

It must absolutely not be cold, I can't stand that.. Also needs to be non-fatiguing since I often listen to entire operas in one setting. I guess I put the biggest emphasis on the music, although I do appreciate high resolution, imaging and all that. Vocal reproduction is the single most important aspect, in any case.

An added bonus would be if it didn't break down completely when playing historic recordings - something I enjoy a whole lot and would like to continue doing. E.g. sound quality is sometimes quite limited.

Cost is no object but a stellar price isn't mandatory. Nice design is a plus. Separate transport & DAC is not a problem but not required either.

This will likely be paired with mbl speakers and possibly mbl amps, or possibly Peak Consult speakers and different amps.. None of that is decided yet. It would be very nice to audition a few CD players at this point though.

By the way: I value Red Book playback most of all, SACD is a bonus but is not required. Stereo playback only, no multichannel capabilities required or desired, no video and so on.

I did read a lot of threads here in Agon, but there was little music discussed that I could relate to so they didn't leave me too much wiser I'm afraid. I don't care about technology, only music. :-)

Thanks so much in advance!
osgorth

Showing 1 response by 240zracer

Another vote for Wadia. Also look up information about the modifications available from Steve at Great Northern Sound for the Wadia. info@greatnorthernsound.com. I wish I could have him work on my 850, but he can no longer get the parts to upgrade the 850.