Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

I'll toss another one out there,... vintage is the way to go after the components have been checked and repaired where needed. How about a Sansui, AU-666, used BluSound Node, same Geshelli DAC and a set of a/d/s L780. I've seen all this gear at the "better" vintage shops & can put this togther for $1500. it'd be a terrific rig in any room. Just my opinion.

marantz 15 $200 recapped my self 

Marantz 7t pre recapped $600

Boston A. T1000 found on the street on trash day 

Schit Dac 

Sounded pretty darn good better then friends 10k system easy 

I have a true vintage system that I still love after many years of use:

Dynaco Stereo 80 Amplifier (built from a kit) bought used for $100;

Marantz 7T peramp, personally recapped - $300;

AR-2ax Speakers purchased by me in 1966 for $259 and reconditioned by me for $50;

Technics SL-6 Linear Tracking Turntable - Free and repaired by me;

Grado P-ZTE+1 Cartridge fitted with new Grado stylus - $100;

Sherwood TD-7010R Stereo Tuner purchased in 1991 - $129;

Vintage equipment is a good choice for anyone who is willing to do a bit of restoration work.  The end result sounds delicious.  The AR speakers are still in great demand for their smooth natural sound.  The Sherwood Tuner is amazing for a budget unit and has needed no reconditioning work.

The time me and my brother went into a hifi store in NYC (Stereo Exchange, I think). I went in to buy speaker cables and they happened to be auditioning B&W Rock Solid monitors. My brother and I were floored at how amazing these little speakers sounded and what a great value price wise they were as well.

Long story short, my brother went back the next day and picked up a pair, that was definitely a great purchase.