Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

The Nu-Force DDa-120 has gotten rave reviews and that sounds like a MUCH better way to listen to TV. Can you run the Pi via USB into the amp?

Mac C26 and Mac2100 bought 30 years ago at auction for under $400, recently re capped pre and well maintained amp. 

Polk Lsim 707 towers for $400 off Craigslist in immaculate condition, replaced my 27 y/o Acoustat spectra

Sony RCD W500C used $100

Sony PS LX5, Grado cartridge (looking for upgraded tt) $125

JDS Atom headphone amp for $80 with Sennheiser HD 518 (my wife goes to bed early)

Room is 16 x24 with 9' ceilings. 

I can and have listened all day and never get tired of the Polks. About $1200 all together.

The Nu-Force DDa-120 has gotten rave reviews and that sounds like a MUCH better way to listen to TV. Can you run the Pi via USB into the amp?

Yes, I have tried connecting the Pi directly to the DDA-120 with USB.  But I read a quote from someone at NuForce that said it sounds best using the optical input.  Plus the USB is supposedly limited to 24/96.

I'll toss another one out there,... vintage is the way to go after the components have been checked and repaired where needed. How about a Sansui, AU-666, used BluSound Node, same Geshelli DAC and a set of a/d/s L780. I've seen all this gear at the "better" vintage shops & can put this togther for $1500. it'd be a terrific rig in any room. Just my opinion.

marantz 15 $200 recapped my self 

Marantz 7t pre recapped $600

Boston A. T1000 found on the street on trash day 

Schit Dac 

Sounded pretty darn good better then friends 10k system easy