Really expensive systems that sounded great?

I often laugh at megabucks systems ($100K and above) I hear because so often they are just OK, or the presentation is so off in one dimension or another I can barely listen to them for long.

What I’d like to ask now is what megabucks systems have you heard which you felt actually were worth the asking price? I don’t mean incrementally better than your $20k system. I mean leaps and bounds. Anyone?

The best system close to that I ever heard was the top of the line Vandersteen speakers and Vandersteen monoblock amps driven by VTL preamp (I believe) at a show in Oakland. Nothing else I heard in that price range or above sounded worth it to my poor ears.

Lets try to stay wealth-positive here and stick to things we actually LIKED. 😁

erik_squires

Showing 1 response by tony1954

@kenjit 

"Yet the drivers used probably cost a few hundred bucks at most. Shocking isn't it. only a fool would spend so much money. The hifi companies know this and thats why they set their prices so high for people like you."

Interesting way to try and put forth your own agenda.

Everything after the word "probably" is rendered useless. Without actual knowledge of the cost of the drivers, any suppositions you make have no validity whatsoever.

Just because other people can spend more on their equipment than you can, is no reason to make baseless claims, call them fools and try to invalidate their purchases,