REAL MUSIC VS. SHOW MUSIC PERFORMANCE AT AUDIO SHOWS. PRESENTATION V. PERFORMANCE? WHY?

One of the things that I have noticed is the kind of music being played to show system performance.  Full disclosure I’m with Infigo Audio. But as an audiophile I think it is important to hear your music in these systems.  Which means non hi rez stuff.  Stuff you would listen to in your system at home. I try to play everything at shows to show our performance.  Some systems to me are all presentation not as much performance. I play funk rock pop classical jazz folk R&B as well as test track to show what a system can do across a genres.  I think it is important to show that a system can perform on all materials. Some systems look good in presentation and sound great on hi rez and test tracks but are not musical involving and may not actually perform well across genres. Thoughts ?

calvinj

Any true audiophile has multi pairs of speakers...No one set of speakers is the BEST for all the different types of music and types of recordings.....Anyway , it’s fun to switch out different speakers , depending on what you are listening to.......My most listened to speakers are Borresen X-3’s....Tekton Pendragons....Klipsch Heresy IV’s......JBL Studio 590’s....Quad L-21’s in that order......Have more fun....Own lots of speakers.....How can you be a true audiophile and own only one pair of Speakers...

To me, performance would seem far more important for the marketing opp. Lose that and forfeit any real purpose to one’s expo/show investment. “Yes, YES, ‘Yesterday’ sounded sublime in room xyz; too bad I’ve been fatigued of the song for the past two decades plus of audio shows…” being a likely overheard befuddlement among said flesh boulders tumbleweeding by. If @rvpiano ’s thread on music vs. sound is indicative of the lot of 2Ch nutso’s, I suspect many transients (not the sort mastered by a sufficient power supply) won’t be much corralled by music they don’t feel (in an SEL sense, not to be mistaken for SPL; you know which rooms you are…).

Of course not everyone can hear their fav tunes. One more reason the prowess of a well-posited veto from a frontman could always be marauding on tap. “Sorry, I don’t demo music by those who cost us Napster…”

Sorry not sorry if my musing isn’t clear. Sorry very sorry if your music isn’t clear. I’m too busy trying to craft a banana-infused eggplant split after @asvjerry ’s Smith music video link to do better at the moment.

It’s a pathetic excuse. I know.
Esp. with bananas being low-hanging fruit.

Personally, I could not care less how well a system plays Diana Krall as I don't listen to this kind of music; I don't need a system that plays everything well, if such a thing and room environment exists, as I don't listen to 'everything'. I'd rather find one that's a master of what I want than a 'jack of all trades'. 

It’s business. Good business knows what the customer wants and does their best to deliver it.  
Right or wrong, most audiophiles want to hear a certain kind of music. It sure as hell ain’t my music, but I wouldn’t expect such to be played at an audio show because I know what to expect in that situation.
I think the suggestion I made above seems fair in addressing the concerns of those who feel certain music and certain sample rates/bit depths are underrepresented at such shows.

I don't see why it has to be an either-or, considering there is a wide range of music available in high-resolution formats.  I think better-sounding recordings ought to be used to show what gear is truly capable of; with a bad recording, it's hard to know what is the fault of the recording and what is the fault of the gear unless you happen to be familiar with that particular recording.