Ready to spend $1100 for upgrade and need inputs

I have AR turntable with Audioquest tonearm PT-15 for 15 years. Now I have $1100 to spend on a turntable plus tonearm; pre-owned is fine with me. (I got a new Denon DL-103 as gift). I only listen to classical music (all types). My other equpipment include: Black Cube (original) phono amp, Aesthetix Calypso pre-amp and Focus Audio FS-888 speakers.

What do you think of the AR + Audioquest combo if you have experienced with it? And how much is the re-sale value; say its in 6/10 condition. (since this is the only turntable system I've ever owned, I am unable to compare to others.)

Many thanks.
hivision

Showing 1 response by afro18

'Vision(ary),

If I was in you situation, here's what I would do:

1. Goto Audiocubes.com and buy the Denon transformer($100). It's ok, but the magic in the Black Cube lies in the MM stage. With that transformer, you can move to MM on the Cube. If you want (and are savy), buy 2 silver wire interconnect kits from HomeGrown Audio($100) and soder them to the outputs of the Cube and the Denon Transformer.

2. Get a used VPI HW-19 Mk IV($400-$500) and a older SME($300) (before the Series 2 improved--the heavier ones). Order one with an SME armboard cutout (or you'll spend $220 for a new armboard). Send it to AudioOrgami and give them (around 100-200) to 'make it like brand new'.

3. Take you old table and make a super-deal for a young audiophile or someone who wants to get back into vinyl.

Lot's of work and time, I know...but think about the equivalent---(TNT Jr. With SME 309 and Denon 103R--$5,000).

Any thoughts?

Marty