Re-tip or Replace?

I have a 40 year old Dynavector Ruby that still sounds great, but I think it will soon require a re-tip.  The question is, should I pay the $350 or so to retip it, or replace the cartridge with a comparably priced Ortofon, Audio-Technica or Nagaoka?  The system consists of a Luxman PD-277 turntable (another 40 year old piece), Schiit Mani phono preamp, Schiit Saga preamp, Rotel RB-980BX amp, and Martin Logan ESL speakers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
jnorris2005

Showing 2 responses by jnorris2005

@mijostyn653:  Those cartridges are way out of my price range.  I mentioned comparably priced to $350.

@roberjerman: I was planning on using Soundsmith's service.  They show a Ruby Cantilever / Nude Contact Line Diamond for $350.  I don't know anyone that does a diamond with a blob of glue.

@chakster  It may be just me, but I don't trust ebay.  Too many counterfeits/scams/ripoffs.

@viridian I'd have to check on the cantilever length.  I'm assuming, perhaps naively, that what goes in matches what comes out.

And thank you all for your responses!

The Grado is the polar opposite of the Dynavector.  Where the Ruby is open and airy with a wide, deep soundstage, the Grado's darkness and lack of high end extension presents a whole different perspective.  I'd be considering AT VM740 or Nagaoka MP-200, amongst others.