RB300 maintainance...

I noticed that on the most inner grooves especially on the extra long-playing records where the grooves come as close as possible to the record label that the sound greatly degrades and becomes too mushy and undetailed. It happens approximately 1.6" apart from record label. Before that the degradation seems to be unaudiable. The very beginning of the playable surface seems to be even too bright, but that's I believe an issue of a load impedance and can be easily resolved.
I checked the cartridge allignement and it seems to be at its maximum precision.
I assume that tonearm moves heavier towards the inner grooves and needs some attention.
Please help me out. My analogue setup is J.A.Michell GyroSE/Incognito-RB300/Lyra Helikon(Benz M.09 as backing up)

THANKS!
128x128marakanetz

Showing 7 responses by marakanetz

Macdonj,
I understand the problems with geometry with pivoted arm but it's getting realy large scale of degradation especially on certain records.
Maybe I should try to change a tonearm direction clockwise a couple of degrees from normal?
...now I have some info to think of... With Benz it's even more emphisized than with Lyra. So far I didn't check the Lugnut's thought and I'm going to work on that.
I've used protractor that alignes the cartridge to the middle grove and to the edge groove.
What is the price of Denessen Cartridge Protractor?
Now I'm staying tuned to check the bearings.
I've made the test proposed by Lugnut and I noticed that on perfectly leveled TT the tonearm comes always back even with anti-skate set to zero.
On my opinion it's azimuth mis-adjustment. The only way to bring it to the appropriate level is to use the file to cut off a-little one of the plastic spacer that is a partof the armboard. While the TT is leveled perfectly the armboard isn't.
Patrick it's yes and no. Theoretically it's yes and practically the level isn't matched on the armboard(very-sligtly off) due to probably the slight difference between one of the three cylindrical plastic 1/2" spacers that mounted on the plinth first and then the armboard(sooner or later I'll probably get the fully adjustable tonearm like Act5 or SMEIV). So once I start(I've even placed two bubble levels onto plinth and the armboard)leveling the armboard the plinth is completely off the level. Currently I've found the "average" balance between the armboard and the plinth which took care of some inner-groove misreading. The more I'm dealing with Rega the more I realize that it's not the way to go.
Patrick, Rega is an excellent value but the Rega's philosophy is to place too much demand on the turntable isn't sometimes appropriate. I believe that adjustments to turntable/arm for the sake of maximum cartridge accuracy must be mutual. If I were using fully adjustable arm that would not be a problem at all. Now I'm mobilizing my file to scratch the right plastic sylinder and than measure the level every time I scratch or maybe I'll be cutting plastic spacers from soft guitar pick so I will not do any damage to an original settings.
Good for us to hear differences! -- The problem had been resolved with recyclable party plates and guitar picks where necessary. Still hear the differences but much-much lower and on acceptable level.

RB300 after all isn't easy arm to set up properly!