"New" Beatles Mono Catalog Release on 180gr Vinyl

It looks like the Mono CD Collection from 5 years ago did well enough that the collection is to be re-scrubbed & re-mastered and released on 180-gram vinyl.

Scheduled release date is 09/09/14. Not sure if the September release date has any significance, but apparently the box set is part of Apple Corps 50th Anniversary marketing campaign.

Here's the link to the Rolling Stone Article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beatles-in-mono-to-get-lavish-vinyl-release-this-fall-20140616

For vinyl junkies, this looks like a no-brainer.

Personally, I'm on the fence as to whether to pull the trigger, especially given the $375.00 US Suggested Retail for 14 LPs (roughly $26.75 per album).

I have the Mono CD Box and the Limited Edition USB-Rom 24-Bit FLAC Collection (Shipped in its own aluminum Green Apple). I passed on the US-Release CD Box, and the UK Stereo CD & Vinyl Boxes. Still, it IS The Beatles, and adjusted for inflation the pricing is about the same as when I bought the record albums the first time...
courant

Showing 2 responses by chayro

I'm not a Beatles collector, but I just bought Rubber Soul and I'm going to compare it with a Japanese copy I bought several years ago. The Japanese copy states it was direct metal mastered from a "digitally remastered original tape". Whatever that means. I'll let you know shortly.
I had a chance to compare side one of the new Rubber Soul mono
release with my Japanese stereo version cut from a digitally
remastered copy of the original tape, so it says. While it
was a relief to be rid of the distracting hard panning of the
stereo, the mono cuts were compressed to the point that I
could not discern the slightest level change. It seemed like a
pure AM radio mix from the old days. The only reason I can
see this being done with this audiophile release is that the
original masters were like that. I mean - really leveled. In
any case, I'm not unhappy with my $23 purchase. I've spent a
lot more on less. The mono release is more
enjoyable to listen to than my stereo version and it is
definitely not bright. While I've only heard this one record,
in all honesty, I don't see what the fuss is about, unless
you're a diehard Beatles fan that wants to know they have the
closest thing to the original master. Like a historical thing.
That's cool, I guess.