"Mini" to Optical for Airport Express

Is there such a cable as a "mini" plug to an optical to use from my Airport Express to my pre-amp? Would this be a better choice than the analog mini to RCA that I am currently using?

Thanks to all.

lawrence.
fishbone222
Fishbone222, I'm not familiar with this device. Does it specifically have a mini-toslink [optical] output? Are you trying to connect to a remote DAC with a toslink input? And is this a standard size [sort of square] toslink input?
fishbone, Since you are asking for a "to an optical" I have to assume (yikes) that you don't have a mini 3.5mm input on your preamp.
Therefore, I gather that you are trying to use the 3.5mm output of the AE and the optical input on your Preamp. If yes, then read on.... The good thing is that the 3.5mm output on the AE is in fact an optical output. What you need is a small adaptor that fits over the end of a standard TOSlink cable to allow you to connect it to the AE.

Or Some cables from monoprice have mini-toslink to standard toslink which would not need the adapter.

If you are trying to do this with a high-end glass TOSlink I don't have info on that.
Okay...so we have established that such an animal exists. Now the question is, sonically, am I better off using the analog out of the AE and the analog in of my preamp OR the digital out of the AE and the digital in of my preamp?

Thanks,

Lawrence.
The only way to know is to listen to both. How good is the DAC in your preamp?
Assuming your preamp is expensive you may likely benefit most by using the digital out from the AE, however, in practice you might not be able to hear a difference (with the volume levels correctly matched.)