Questions about Wall Audio Opus 120 phono

Anybody own or have any experience with this phono stage or any other gear offered by Wall Audio.
tooblue

Showing 6 responses by tablejockey

tooblue,
Congrats! It’s safe to say, for $1000, you have THE BEST phonostage....period.
With the bundle you saved, if a little audio excitement hits again, NOS tubes for the gain section, or a new power cord!

Enjoy it....play the Beethoven’s 5th or Pink Floyd’s "Money" LOUD!

Edit: how’s the noise factor? When does the noticeable tube rush creep in? Volume halfway?
tooblue-
Likely, it's just one tube(2-L/R) that will make the most impact. Find out where the gain tube is.
As always, a YMMV thing. Changing the rectifier tube is another arguable subject as well.

Enjoy. My 7 year old Fosgate has become buggy. This will be the 2nd repair, which will be a hassle of packing it, sending it off with a long downtime.
Might be an excuse for a little audio excitement, and excuse for a new toy.
slaw-Until I find an outstanding deal as tooblue, I won't be considering the Wall.Certainly not holding my breath!
I will be perusing the listings, ready to pounce on something half of retail, that's for certain.
Audio at list price would keep me out of the game.
https://www.wallaudio.de/en/opus-120-ph/MM seems high@55db?MC@70...great if you're going to use a very low MC. But the popular .5mv or so carts...won't that introduce extra noise, particularly since your preamp will add it's own gain?
Guess you just have to be extra picky about cart selection.

It's full tube, so it's gonna be a little noisier than most of the popular models using step up for MC gain, and FET in the design. My old Fosgate(full tube) is hissy when cranked, not a deal breaker. But if you're obsessive about noise, and used to SS quiet, likely not happening with this unit?

Tooblue-
Great score for $999! I would have jumped on it, if I stumbled across the listing, at that price.  What was the MSRP? 4-5k?

Your ART7 will sing. I use the ART9. Would like to try the 7, if I had the additional gain.
"Another thought here is that my ATA Serenade is rated @ 60db but plays louder than my Allnic H1500 rated @ 66db through the same system"
Interesting. The ATA matches up better than the Allnic in your setup?Input capacitance value which isn't an adjustable setting?

Good luck. For that price, if you don't like it,  no problem recouping your money if you sell it. You probably could sell it for a profit!

tooblue wins the internet this week!

A deal like that is the only way  I acquire nice gear.

Also a reminder, of what kind of markup necessary to operate a business.

Bravo! Reminder to peruse listings, and be ready to whip the card out.

Report back with review. Looks like something waiting for tube tweaking.