Question: What are some of your best pieces of advise to someone new to the hobby?

I have a friend who is interested in putting together a system and am putting together a little guide for him, compiling information I’ve found over the years, plus some of my own personal tips and tricks. However, I am by no means the end-all-be-all of knowledge and want to incorporate information, tips, and tricks from the community - however basic they may seem - into a nice reference resource.

Without specifically naming any pieces of gear or brands (this isn’t a product recommendation question), what are some of the biggest tips, tricks, important pieces of info to keep in mind, caveats, etc. that you would have for someone new?

*side note - hopefully this post can also serve as a nice reference point for people in the future, as well!

128x128mmcgill829

Showing 1 response by vitussl101

I pretty much agree with @secretguy ; "Pay no attention to forums like this."

But I’ll still throw in my two cents, don’t get hung up on finding the best equipment at a specific price point. Audition equipment before you buy. I know that in some parts, there are not a lot of choices, or places to see and hear components. Driving hundreds of miles or flying to destinations (I have an acquaintance who actually flies across the country) is something that you have to decide. I live in a large metropolitan area and have access to a lot of gear but even here, there’s quite a bit of stuff not available and I’m fine with that. If it isn’t easy to audition and repair I’m okay with that. The idea that some other component might be better than the one I just purchased, and getting worked into a frenzy( I know someone like that, afraid to make a decision)) over it is simply a waste of time and takes away the original reason for owning an audio system is to enjoy music. At least that’s what I think. If I tell someone here what I own and they tell me why I did not get some other product they think is better, well I just don’t care. You don’t need books or advice from the person who thinks he’s the "Dali Lama" of audio.

So listen, don’t be afraid to like what you like and not what someone else told you to like. Keep it simple.